PDA

View Full Version : So, about William and Mary.

Guinevere
04-03-10, 16:49
Earlier this week I was turning cartwheels at finally getting a clue about a long sought marriage.

The CD of Belton Parish Records (Suffolk Fam His Society) arrived today and behold!

William Seley married Mary Gowen May 6 1798, by banns.
Witnesses were Rhody Gowen and John Seeley.

Sadly, there are no Gowens baptised in the parish before this date. So I still do not know who Mary's parents were. From census, death cert and the banns book I know she was born abt 1770.

There is a glimmer of light. Two years earlier Samuel Gowing married Elizabeth Skinner. Samuel is described as "of Langley". Witnesses Roday Gowen and Noah Pole.

And a year before John Reynolds married Elizabeth Gowen. Witnesses Robert Skinner and Noah Pole.

I speculate that perhaps Mary, Samuel and Elizabeth were siblings.

Unfortunately the new LDS site with Norfolk PRs doesn't have the parish of Langley. Is it worth forking out £7.50 for the LDS film to see if there are baptisms there? Both Mary and Elizabeth were otp at marriage.

And had anyone encountered the name Roday/Rhody before? Male or female?

kiterunner
04-03-10, 16:49
I'm guessing it's Rhoda, female.

Guinevere
04-03-10, 16:50
I think you're right, Kite, never encountered one before.

kiterunner
04-03-10, 16:56
There doesn't seem to be much Langley stuff online. FreeREG has baptisms from 1813 to 1880 which isn't much help to you. Yes, might be worth getting the film.

Guinevere
04-03-10, 17:13
They only seem to have filmed the AD's transcripts so they'll have to do. On the plus side there are other "parishes of interest" on the same film.

Kit
04-03-10, 22:26
If there are other useful parishes then go for it. Even if the original parish lets you down you have other ways to use the film.

Joy Dean
05-03-10, 10:49
There is probate here for a Samuel Gowen
http://www.noah.norfolk.gov.uk/ShowImage_books.aspx?img=http://nsources.norfolk.gov.uk/probate/wills/GS_0166951/34574.jpg

Guinevere
05-03-10, 11:01
Thanks, Joy. It certainly looks as though the Langley film could be useful.

Phoenix
05-03-10, 12:08
NROCAT has lots of Gowing refs too for Langley, so it's deffo worth the £7.50!

Nell
07-03-10, 11:29
Gwynne

I have some Langley parish events in my family - I will remember you if I get to look at Langley records again. I don't think the registers are very extensive. I'm assuming you mean the Langley which is in Loddon registration district? I also have a Rhoda on my Smoothy side!

*now worries I could be related to Gwynne and by extension to the Allenders*

Guinevere
07-03-10, 12:11
I'm going to order the film, Nell. They only have the AD's transcripts but I may get lucky. I'm not even sure Mary was born there, even if Samuel is her brother, but I have to start somewhere. It is the Lodden one, btw.

*ignores snipe at Allenders*

*worries about possibility of being related to Nell*

Kit
07-03-10, 22:45
Aren't the Allenders Gwynne's inlaws?

In which case Nell you wont be related.

Guinevere
08-03-10, 14:05
Only by marriage, Kit!

I've been through Norcat and ordered the probate and admin of an earler Samuel at nearby Acle who could be father to samuel and Mary.

*crosses fingers for more clues*