PDA

View Full Version : Military question:County Militia mid 1800s

Macbev
02-03-10, 16:16
Query for those with military knowledge. I have a young man born 1826 who is fairly reliably supposed to have been at Merton College Oxford between 1849-1852.

There is someone of the same name who gained a commission to the Dorset Militia as Ensign in 1843, when my young man would have been about 17 years of age. That same young man was promoted to Lieutenant in 1852.

The young man's family had generations of service with the Dorset Militia, some in very prominent positions, so I have no problem with that connection.

What I would like to know is if it was possible/usual/likely that a military career would co exist with a time at university in the mid 1800s?

The young man in question emigrated about 1853 and abandoned both scholarship and military advancement in favour of a pioneer lifestyle in the Colonies, so I suppose the question is somewhat academic....but I would like to know.

Am heading off to bed now the temp has dropped to 22C, but will look in tomorrow for responses. T.i.A

Nell
02-03-10, 17:14
Hi

Not an expert, but joining the militia wasn't necessarily a career. I think they had to do it as a kind of "national service". My Norfolk ancestors all did about a year or 18 months in the militia before they came down to work in the Met.

Macbev
03-03-10, 00:40
Thank you Nell. Yes, I think you may be correct about it not necessarily being a career. The family I am looking at seem to have treated it as a family hobby, or some sort of noblesse oblige.....many of them became Lords Lieutenant and/or held life-long rankings.

I suspect my young man (if it was him) may have gained a commission because it was expected of him as much as anything....just wanted to know if he could serve at the same time as he appeared to be studying for a degree. Although the family was in poor financial circumstances, they never did anything so ungenteel as work for a living...my young chap shot off to the Colonies as soon as he could and never did much good there either.

Kit
03-03-10, 05:50
they never did anything so ungenteel as work for a living

I have often wondered how some of OH's "gentlemen" rellies made a quid. :rolleyes:

Merry
03-03-10, 07:16
I suspect my young man (if it was him)

Which bit are you less sure of? The army or the university?

Macbev
03-03-10, 08:14
The army, Merry.....I am pretty certain of the university.

Macbev
03-03-10, 08:16
I have often wondered how some of OH's "gentlemen" rellies made a quid. :rolleyes:

If they were like my lot, Kit, they ran up horrendous bills on their 'expectations'....and bludged off their more frugal female rellies.:p