PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a birth ref please

Kit
01-03-10, 22:45
Grace Simpson or Eastwood was born in 1841 in Staffordshire and her birth was registered with the local ro as follows.

Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1841
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Reference
EASTWOOD Grace Simpson Shelton Stoke-On-Trent SHE/004/065

Unfortunately Stoke-on-trent as the only Staffs RO that doesn't take a credit card. Buying the 2 IRCs required to go with the application will cost me more than the cert itself so I decided I'd buy the cert through the GRO before the price goes up.

But I can't find the birth registration.

Can anyone help?

marquette
02-03-10, 01:04
Hi Toni

I looked in freebmd - I cannot see any registrations for any Eastwood or Simpson in the year 1841 in Stoke on Trent (or Staffordshire more generally), nor any child called Grace.

Perhaps for some reason her registration was never entered into the GRO index (my gg fathers' death in Manchester is not in the GRO indexes, so I had to find it through the local RO).

Sorry you might have to find another way, or wait until they catch up with the 21st century and accept credit cards.

Di

Kit
02-03-10, 01:14
Thanks for looking Di. At least I'm not alone (and therefore stupid) in not finding it.

I've found another discrepancy too. George dies aged 74 in 1924 in newcastle under lyme as per staffs ro. There is another george who dies aged 0 in biddulph, same yr.

According to the GRO both died aged 0 in 1924. I can work out which George is which but am worried about ordering through the GRO for this one. Staffs take credit card at NUL. :)

Now if they'd just get online ordering. :rolleyes:

Merry
02-03-10, 06:18
I see Grace is aged 2 months in 1841 so I only looked at the first 2 Qs of 1841. Couldn't see her on the original pages or any transcript.

Erm, what's George's surname? Looked at the ones aged 0 in Leek (Biddulph), but couldn't match them to anything you had said already, so a but confused!

Anyway, Biddulph is Leek district and Newcastle-u-L is in it's own district, so hopefully that will help with the GRO index for 1924.

Kit
02-03-10, 07:11
The surname for George was Dawson. I've had a look at the originals and it isn't a transcription error, not for the index anyway.

I'd guess the error was made when the GRO index was compiled.