PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone read the writing? (1861 census)

Uncle John
28-02-10, 15:04
1861 census: RG9 Piece 197 Folio 12 Page 20

George C Leighton aged 34 says he's the Managing Publisher of the Illustrated London News. But where was he born? On other censuses he says either London or Hackney.
I can't read the pob for his wife Margaret either.

Wikipedia doesn't mention him in connection with the Illustrated London News but he does seem to have been a prolific publisher of topical engravings.

This family are relatives of Michael Faraday the scientist and inventor, to whom I have a genuine but rather tenuous link. I've been filling in the blanks from the bare bones supplied by a contact a few years ago and have found it quite fascinating.

Merry
28-02-10, 15:16
I couldn't read it sensibly, but seems to be the same place as his baptism:

Name: George Cargill Leighton
Birth Date: 10 Jul 1826
Christening Place: Shucklewell, Middlesex, Eng.
Father's Name: Stephen Leighton
Mother's Name: Helen
Maternal Grandfather's Name: Charles Blair

Merry
28-02-10, 15:23
Wikipedia: Shacklewell is a district within the London Borough of Hackney, roughly North-east of modern-day Dalston, (which historically was due South of Shacklewell).

Mary from Italy
28-02-10, 15:31
As it gives the maternal grandfather's name, it'll be a non-con baptism.

Mary from Italy
28-02-10, 15:37
The wife's birthplace might be Wardour Street, at a pinch.

Merry
28-02-10, 15:46
The wife's birthplace might be Wardour Street, at a pinch.

That looks possible. I've been looking in my A-Z. It's just south east of Oxford Circus underground station.

Mary from Italy
28-02-10, 16:04
Google has lots about the Illustrated London News and George C Leighton, e.g.:

The Early History of The Illustrated London News

http://www.iln.org.uk/iln_years/earlyhistiln.htm

George Cargill Leighton, a former apprentice of Baxter’s, never worked under Baxter’s licence but became a prominent printer in his own right, becoming the printer and later owner of the Illustrated London News, the first journal in the world to include regular colour plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Baxter

Merry
28-02-10, 16:46
Stephen Leighton and Helen Blair were married in 1822 in Dunkeld, Perthshire (IGI)

Nell
28-02-10, 17:07
As he's in Clerkenwell in 1861 isn't that likely to be his birthplace? Probably the bloke filling in the form from the enumerator couldn't read what he'd written.

Merry
28-02-10, 17:36
As he's in Clerkenwell in 1861 isn't that likely to be his birthplace? Probably the bloke filling in the form from the enumerator couldn't read what he'd written.

I keep reading your post again and again, Nell, but I don't get it! lol Why would he be born where he was in 1861? *waits to look stupid* :o:o

Nell
28-02-10, 17:41
I mean he's living in Clerkenwell in 1861.

Uncle John
28-02-10, 17:52
Well done and fanks everyone. The Faradays and their other married-ins (Barnard is the other main name) all seem to be non-con. Most of the births/baps I found come from the Dr Williams Library non-con registers.

Wardour Street seems more likely than Clerkenwell since this generation of Faradays say they are born London, not Middlesex.

Uncle John
28-02-10, 17:54
Google has lots about the Illustrated London News and George C Leighton, e.g.:

The Early History of The Illustrated London News

http://www.iln.org.uk/iln_years/earlyhistiln.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Baxter

My Google search didn't find these for some reason.

Uncle John
28-02-10, 17:56
George must have done very nicely for himself. By 1891 he's 64 and a retired printer in what sounds like a nice house in Hornsey.

Merry
28-02-10, 17:56
*Goes and lies in a darkened room for a few days.*

Ohhhhhhh, that's what I thought too at first! (sorry, I read your post as if you were saying he wasn't allowed to move from his birthplace *sheepish grin*).

I think it says Shacklewell.

Uncle John
28-02-10, 18:37
This has created a bigger piece of knitting, with a whole new branch of the Sandeman family in Scotland. In 1901 widow Margaret Leighton is in Kirkintilloch with her daughter Annie (birth as yet not found), Annie's husband Boswell Sandeman and their tribe of Sandemans. My link to this lot is via another branch of the Sandeman family. From links that FTM searches are throwing up I think I can get back to 1851 and then start working forward again.

Merry
28-02-10, 20:12
This looks like Annie's birth:

Births Dec 1857

Leighton Annie Pancras 1b 165

Says St Pancras for her in 1861.

Uncle John
02-03-10, 15:28
Thanks for that one. I've now added nearly 50 new people to my tree, but I've still got one or two floaters.