PDA

View Full Version : Help in finding newspaper article.

WendyPusey
25-02-10, 16:07
I'm helping a friend research her tree and we have found that her Great Grandfather Robert Fyfe, a gamekeeper, and another gamekeeper were shot dead and two men were found guilty and hanged. See article below.

Martin Scott & Henry Mullen

In February 1883, a farmer's wife taking a short cut home through a field at Port Glasgow, discovered the bodies of two gamekeepers. They had been shot dead at such close range that there were powder burns on their faces. Many local poachers were questioned before one. a man named Kyle, turned informer. On his evidence Henry Mullen and Martin Scott were soon arrested and charged. They were convicted at Glasgow Circuit Court on 25th April, and sentenced to be hanged on 17th May. The executions had to be put back until 23rd May because Marwood had an engagement in Dublin with the Phoenix Park murderers. They were the first men to be hanged in Glasgow at Duke Street prison. The sentence was carried out on the 23rd May 1883.

I've tried looking for more info but haven't managed to find anything.:(

Can anyone find anything for me please.

Merry
25-02-10, 17:41
The Times, Saturday, Apr 28, 1883; pg. 14; Issue 30806; col E

Sentenced to Death - At Glasgow Circuit Court before Lord Dess, Henry Mullen and Martin Scott were found guilty of having murdered two gamekeepers on Devol Farm, near Greenock, and were sentenced to be hanged at Glasgow on the 17th of May.

Merry
25-02-10, 17:46
There are at least 20 reports covering the trial on the Gale site. From experience most will be repetitions of others in different newspapers. If you want me to read them all to pick out the ones with different facts you will have to wait until later!! lol

Merry
25-02-10, 17:47
Is the above everything you know, because I can just read through and see if there's anything else mentioned......

WendyPusey
25-02-10, 18:06
I really wanted some info on the trial Merry, if that's possible.

WendyPusey
25-02-10, 18:07
Just found an e-mail from someone who has found the details of the trial. Bit gruesome, so don't worry about it Merry.

Thank you for looking for me.