PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Hitchcock on the 1881 please!

chrissiebee
24-02-10, 16:31
Hi Folks,

I wonder if any of you kind folk could have the time (and patience!) to find my Dawson James Hitchcock on the 1881 - which are all freebie sites, thank Gawd. I have him on the 1871 (badly mistrancribed) an he is there without any bother on the 1891. He married Hannah Woodroffe (she's on the 1881) in 1882, so you wouldn't imagine he would have been too far away. He was born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire in 1859, started working as an indoor servant, and then became an engine fireman. By 1891 he was a railway engine driver.

Anybody with better eyesight than me?

Many thanks,

Chris

kiterunner
24-02-10, 16:44
He's hiding too well for me, sorry.

chrissiebee
24-02-10, 16:59
I think he must be in the same coal-hole as a few more of my reprobates seem to be........!

Chris:d

Merry
24-02-10, 17:54
and then became an engine fireman. By 1891 he was a railway engine driver.

I only have two census pages missing for all my direct ancestors who should appear, and one of those two was either an engine fireman or a railway engine driver (depending on exaxtly when he got promoted) when the census was taken. I wonder how many railway staff working on night trains got accidentally excluded from the census?

chrissiebee
24-02-10, 21:15
I only have two census pages missing for all my direct ancestors who should appear, and one of those two was either an engine fireman or a railway engine driver (depending on exaxtly when he got promoted) when the census was taken. I wonder how many railway staff working on night trains got accidentally excluded from the census?

Yeah, that would just about be my luck............!;( According to his marriage certificate in 1882 he is down as a fireman (working the night shift, no doubt).

Chris

chrissiebee
24-02-10, 21:16
Many thanks to both Kite and Merry for their efforts - much appreciated!

Chris

chrissiebee
24-02-10, 22:27
I think this may well be him:

James Hichlock, boarder, single, born 1861 Derbyshire. Occupation is 'railway engine cleaner'. RG11, Piece 3348, Folio 118, Page 18.

I know it's not an actual match, but it's the closest I can get. Perhaps too many folk took the Mickey out of him with the 1st name of 'Dawson', so at his place of work decided just to stick to James?

What do you reckon?

Chris

Uncle John
24-02-10, 22:30
I reckon you've found him. Name, occupation and pob all match.

Merry
25-02-10, 05:55
Hey, why didn't I find that? I looked for James rather than Dawson too and with no surname and just county of birth, plus the first bit of various railway occs. *gives laptop a shake*

Merry
25-02-10, 05:57
Railway engine cleaner comes before railway fireman (in 'rank'), so had he been in trouble and temporarily demoted?!!

chrissiebee
25-02-10, 10:39
Railway engine cleaner comes before railway fireman (in 'rank'), so had he been in trouble and temporarily demoted?!!

Merry - taken another little gander at his marriage cert in 1882, which has him down as engine fireman, so in that short space of time was actually promoted. He then finishes up on the 1891 as a railway engine driver.

I hope the mystery is now solved - until another one crops up, of course! Many thanks for your help!

Chris

Merry
25-02-10, 10:53
Have you got the details of his inquest in 1896?

chrissiebee
25-02-10, 16:31
Have you got the details of his inquest in 1896?

Yes, I have, Merry. He was only 36 years of age, and had been working as a drayman for the Co-op. Perhaps he had failed his medical or something when he was a train driver? That we shall never know, I guess. He came home at about 11 a.m., not feeling well, had some gruel and went to bed. The next morning he had some soda and milk (yuk!) and then complained about pains in his legs. A witness said that shortly after there was no response, a doctor was called and he died at about 2 p.m. Inquest said that he had heart disease. The jury, upon learning that his widow had 7 children all under the age of 14, gave their fees which was also supplemented by contributions from the Coroner and also the doctor. How hard a life his widow Hannah must have had, having lost a child later that same year. Hannah never re-married, but had lost a total of 4 of the 7 children before they reached adulthood. How sad is that.............?

Chris

Merry
25-02-10, 18:17
That's exactly what I was reading in the paper. Poor man. And poor Hannah.

chrissiebee
25-02-10, 19:51
That's exactly what I was reading in the paper. Poor man. And poor Hannah.

Um - sorry, Merry, you've lost me there..............?

Chris

Merry
25-02-10, 20:28
Um - sorry, Merry, you've lost me there..............?

Chris

I asked you if you had the details of his inquest, because if you hadn't I would have given you a copy of the item in The Derby Mercury, Wednesday, October 14, 1896; Issue 9484. :)

chrissiebee
25-02-10, 21:50
I asked you if you had the details of his inquest, because if you hadn't I would have given you a copy of the item in The Derby Mercury, Wednesday, October 14, 1896; Issue 9484. :)

Oh Blink, Merry! If I had known that, I wouldn't have had such a palaver getting a copy of this newspaper report (many moons ago, I hasten to add!) Your brilliance knows no bounds.............Very many thanks anyway!

Chris