PDA

View Full Version : Straying far from home: John Langworth

Sabrina
23-02-10, 19:01
I found this marriage in the parish register of Badgeworth, Gloucestershire and since it is before civil registration thought someone might want to know where he got to ;)

19 September 1824: John LANGWORTH of St Mary le Borne, Middlesex, bachelor married Ann LANE, of Badgeworth parish, spinster, by Licence. Witnesses: John Lane and Elizabeth Lane.

Georgette
24-02-10, 08:14
I've been looking through the Norfolk registers on the Family Search site and have seen quite a few people a long way from home, including one man from Northumberland and a baptism entry in French by a Catholic priest for a little French girl.

Mary from Italy
24-02-10, 20:28
19 September 1824: John LANGWORTH of St Mary le Borne, Middlesex,

I expect that should be St. Mary le Bone (Marylebone).

Nell
24-02-10, 21:44
And it just means that is where he was living at the time of the marriage, not where he was born. He might have been born in Badgworth and working in London. It's a myth that everyone stayed in the same place until the railways arrived. Lots of people didn't go far, but many others went a long way - often overseas.

I'm thinking its Marylebone, though I have also seen St Mary le Bow (which is the church in the City).

Sabrina
25-02-10, 19:31
This is the section of the entry if you would like to have a guess - I could even get Corine out of it if I tried!!! :d

http://imgur.com/bKhIP.png

They are nothing to do with me, so it is not important - my only reason for the post was in the hope that it might help someone find a lost ancestor if they happen to Google him!