PDA

View Full Version : LDS film loan

Just Gillian
22-02-10, 14:58
As I am having no luck in getting hold of anyone at the local LDS centre, does anyone know, please, if there is a way of telling from the page below whether these films would be available for ordering?

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=468749&disp=Registri+ecclesiastici++

Guinevere
22-02-10, 15:26
They should be but they may take a while because they will have to be sent from Salt Lake.

Just Gillian
22-02-10, 15:29
Thanks Gwynne. I'll keep trying their number in that case.

JBee
22-02-10, 16:59
They are usually manned by volunteers and have set opening hours. When I wanted to order films I had to go in to the local centre and pay in advance - they then phoned me to tell me when they'd arrived. Believe there is a warehouse/depot in the Midlands which sends the films to the local centres.

However this was some years ago now.

Just Gillian
22-02-10, 17:19
Thanks JBee. My nearest one should be open three mornings a week, according to the LDS site, but they've never been there yet when I've tried.

Merry
23-02-10, 13:09
Thanks JBee. My nearest one should be open three mornings a week, according to the LDS site, but they've never been there yet when I've tried.

Gillian, Do you mean you tried to visit, or were they just not answering the phone?

Just Gillian
23-02-10, 13:23
Merry - it's about 8 miles away, so I'd just been trying to get them by phone for months now to confirm their opening times etc.

However, I tried on the off chance yesterday afternoon - when they were closed - and got an answerphone for the first time. I left my number and have just got home and found they had called me back and will try me again! So, fingers crossed - if the above films are available on loan, I might finally be able to confirm that OH's 4x gt grandparents are also the parents of the man in Bath whose denization papers I downloaded from TNA and find the parents of a nephew named in 3x gt grandfather's will.

Merry
23-02-10, 13:37
Sounds hopeful then!

I've not tried to get to my local one for years. I notice their opening hours have been extended a lot recently, so it might be worth me having another try. When I did go there (25 miles round trip) they were always closed during their oening times! Think I tried three or four times and then gave up.

Just Gillian
23-02-10, 13:46
This chap, who sounded quite elderly, said something vague on the lines of "we'll see what we can sort out", so I think perhaps their stated opening times are not written in stone!

Anyway, it's some progress at least!