Date and place of baptism:
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Marriage to Mary Shaw on 17th August 1849 in Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland

Coal Miner

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK):
Haven't got 1841 Scottish Census

Cochrane St, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1851 Scottish Census
Parish: Kilbirnie; ED: 6; Page: 17; Line: 15; Roll 1285; Year: 1851.

Overton Hamlet, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1861 Scottish Census
Parish: Dreghorn; ED: 5; Page: 23; Line: 4; Roll CSSCT1861_84; Year: 1861.

No 9 Warweckdale Row, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1871 Scottish Census
Parish: Dreghorn; ED: 5; Page: 4; Line: 9; Roll CSSCT1871_109; Year: 1871.

9, Overton, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1881 Scottish Census
Parish: Dreghorn; ED: 5; Page: 33; Line: 23; Roll cssct1881_184; Year: 1881.

Date, place and cause of death:
1st October 1890 aged 58 at Overton, Dreghorn, Ayrshire, Scotland of Bronchitis Chronic 6 months

Date and place of burial / cremation:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known

Memorial inscription:
Not known

kiterunner
19-02-10, 12:02
Mary is head of household at 9 Warwickdale Row, Dreghorn, on the 1891 census with son David (listed as M Ewan on ancestry) and a boarder, so I would guess Robert died between 1881 and 1891.

kiterunner
19-02-10, 12:10
There is a Robert McEwan death listed on Scotland's People at Dreghorn in 1890, age 58.

maggie_4_7
19-02-10, 13:23
Well you've done it again Kite :)

I had a quick look this morning for census. I think that's as far as I got last time and then got sidetracked onto other people as usual.

I have downloaded the death cert and now have his parents names thank you. I don't know if its me but I don't tend to have much luck on SP with my searches I think there must be a knack to it. I seem to end up with a lot more likely matches that I want. The Scottish census on Ancestry is a pain as well at times.

ElizabethHerts
19-02-10, 13:31
Maggie, I do sympathise. One quarter of my family tree is Scottish, and it is only with the help of other people with the same ancestors that I managed to get back as far as I have.

I'm not a great fan of Scotland's People, although I know some people like it. I just seem to go round in circles and my credits get eaten up. I wish they would have a subscription so I could have a good year just concentrating on all those little leads, which are far too expensive to pursue.

kiterunner
19-02-10, 16:02
I don't know if its me but I don't tend to have much luck on SP with my searches I think there must be a knack to it. I seem to end up with a lot more likely matches that I want.

Just takes a lot of practice, I would say. And patience, especially if you don't want to spend money! If I'm looking for someone in someone else's tree, not mine, then I will never use credits, so I just keep repeating a search with different search criteria to narrow it down as much as possible.

maggie_4_7
19-02-10, 16:13
Yeah I try that but I still seem to spend to many credits to get where I want.

Anyway I have now found his wife Mary's death and David's marriage which pinpointed Mary's death between 1891-1895. But that started with the 1891 census you found and then I went and found David on 1901 with a wife called Martha.

So I now have Robert's parents names and also Mary's parents names :)