PDA

View Full Version : Elspeth Whitehouse - help please

Shazza34
18-02-10, 11:05
I have today recieved a death certicate for ELSPETH WHITEHOUSE 1930 - 1987. She was a great aunt I never knew I had.
According to the certifcate she was born in Walsall West Midlands - I cant find a birth GRO for her !!!
Also on death certifcate the box for qualification of informant reads " causing the body to be cremated" The informant was not a relative as far as I can tell. Has anyone come across this comment before ???

Margaret in Burton
18-02-10, 11:14
I have today recieved a death certicate for ELSPETH WHITEHOUSE 1930 - 1987. She was a great aunt I never knew I had.
According to the certifcate she was born in Walsall West Midlands - I cant find a birth GRO for her !!!
Also on death certifcate the box for qualification of informant reads " causing the body to be cremated" The informant was not a relative as far as I can tell. Has anyone come across this comment before ???

Had she been married? If so, then her birth won't be in that name.

Yes, I have come across that comment before but for the life of me can't remember what it means. I'm sure someone will know.

edit:
There don't appear to be any Elspeth's born in Walsall in 1930 +/- 5 years. Obviously she either wasn't born in Walsall or her first name wasn't Elspeth.

Margaret in Burton
18-02-10, 11:21
There is an Elspeth born in Wolverhampton in 1930. Dec qtr. That is close to Walsall. The name isn't Whitehouse but I better not put the surname as if it isn't her she may still be alive.

Phoenix
18-02-10, 11:26
"causing the body to be cremated" usually means an executor or a member of the local council etc dealing with a death where there are no obvious relatives to step in.

Phoenix
18-02-10, 11:27
NB that would also mean that the details provided may be suspect.

Margaret in Burton
18-02-10, 11:32
Well the Elspeth I found the birth for in Wolverhampton didn't marry a Whitehouse.

kiterunner
18-02-10, 11:36
Does it give her exact date of birth on the death certificate, Shazza, and if so what does it say?

Also, does it have a box no 4 called "Maiden surname of woman who has married"? I'm not sure exactly what year that box was introduced. If it is there, does it say anything in it?

kiterunner
18-02-10, 11:54
And do you know what her mother's maiden name should be?

Merry
18-02-10, 13:03
And do you know what her mother's maiden name should be?

That's what I was going to ask!

Shazza34
18-02-10, 13:14
Sorry had to go out after posting - work keeps getting in my way of searches !!!
Let me see if I can answer all your questions -
No she wasn't married as her name is the same as my grandfathers.
Date of birth - 4th August 1930 Walsall, West Midlands.
Maiden surname box has a line through it.
Mothers maiden name should be Everton.
Just seems a mystery to me that with that info I cant find her in the GRO references - I've looked on Ancestry and Find My Past.
Any other places I should look ???
Only found out about her when I visitd my grandfathers grave and saw her name added to his stone with sister on it.

kiterunner
18-02-10, 13:41
I guess the date of birth should be 4th Aug 1930?

Can't see any likely entry on the GRO indexes, and unfortunately West Midlands BMD hasn't done Walsall births for 1930 yet. You could try applying to Walsall register office for her birth certificate, though?

Margaret in Burton
18-02-10, 14:10
It does look as though she may have been missed of the GRO indexes, it does happen.

Try contacting Walsall register office and explaining your problem.

anne fraser
18-02-10, 14:20
The causing the body to be cremated means that the other signatory organised the funeral. A cremation always needs a seccond signatory besides a doctor.
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/deaths.htm#COL9
Here is a link I found.