PDA

View Full Version : update - west riding

bidston
13-02-10, 13:31
hi merry, just received marriage lines for martha halden, 19 mar 1862, martha halden, age 34 , rimmer lane leeds, marked with an X, father john halden - deceased, fitter or gilder, not sure, witnesses robert J H cedric and john bailiff

so now looking for john and elizabeth halden ( haldane) marriage, in 1851 she is with daughter elizabeth, and down as pauper,age 67, maybe john already deceased

in 1841 she is alone with the 3 girls at stanningley, pudsey under the name aldon age 55

great idea to get martha's marriage details

Merry
13-02-10, 13:43
maybe john already deceased

I've noticed on quite a few of your posts you have appeared to guess what the marital status may be on the census. Are you only looking at the indexes? Elizabeth is recorded as a widow in 1851 and I guess she was probably already a widow in 1841.

Gilder and fitter sound a lot different! Can you post up that bit of the cert so we can have a look?

Merry
13-02-10, 13:49
robert J H cedric

How certain are you? Cedric doesn't appear to be a valid surname on Ancestry!

bidston
13-02-10, 15:23
hi merry, problem i have is that i get the certificates sent to my sister in the u,k, and have to rely on her reading them over the phone, she is not too good in the eye department

Merry
13-02-10, 15:35
Ah!

Trouble is, any bit of correct info may make the difference between finding something of interest or to take you back further, and not finding it.

bidston
13-02-10, 15:41
i know, its frustrating, i get her to show them to other people and sometimes get a bit more detail

Merry
13-02-10, 16:04
I've found a couple of possibles for John Bailiff(e) and their marriages, but can't see a family connection yet with them (obviously there's only a chance any witness is a relative). Can't do a thing with the other one, unfortunately.

bidston
13-02-10, 16:19
that's interesting, never paid a lot of notice to the witnesses, will look as well now

bidston
13-02-10, 16:54
hi merry, found a john bailiffe in 1881 census, he is down as a fitter/turner, my sister thought john haldon was fitter/gilder, could have been the same thing , will ask her again tomorrow, would give the connection if they worked together

Margaret in Burton
13-02-10, 17:01
Can't your sister post them on to you or take photocopies if she doesn't have a scanner so she can email them? Then you could read them for yourself.

bidston
13-02-10, 17:08
blimey, you have never met my sister , i start talking about scans and she be down the hospital first thing, unfortunately i live in thailand and the mail is horrendous, i would probably lose most of them

Margaret in Burton
13-02-10, 17:58
Then tell her to find someone else to scan them and email them to you.

Olde Crone
13-02-10, 18:15
She could even do this in her local library - they will do it for her if she asks nicely! Probably cost her £1 in computer time.

OC

Uncle John
13-02-10, 18:33
hi merry, problem i have is that i get the certificates sent to my sister in the u,k, and have to rely on her reading them over the phone, she is not too good in the eye department

You can get the GRO to send certificates anywhere in the world for the standard fee of seven pounds.
Sorry, just saw your comment on the Thailand postal service.

bidston
14-02-10, 02:07
i don't feel i can expect any more from here, she takes care of an old lady she visits about 3 times a day and has a handicapped son at home, she doesn't have a lot of time