PDA

View Full Version : Ann Appleyard nee Woodward.

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-02-10, 08:19
I have started looking back at some of the gaps in my research & wondered if anyone could help me with this one.
According to the census, Ann was born c 1791 in Ludborough Lincolnshire, I have her marriage in 1808 to James Appleyard in Ludborough & then living in Barton upon Humber Lincolnshire from 1841 - 1861.

There is a submitted entry on the IGI which gives her baptism as 29/12/1792, d/o Frances Woodward & Luke Harress & there is a subsequent marriage of Frances to a William Brown. However, I was unable to find this baptism at Lincoln archives, so do not know where the information came from.

Ann disappears after 1861 & I have been looking for her death. I believe I have found it today, in Grimsby in 1878, Ancestry have a death in the Caister district for Ann born c 1789 & when I checked this on my Lincs burial cd, I discovered that this Ann was living in East Street Grimsby, which is where one of her daughters was living, so hopefully this is her. However, where was she in 1871? And how can I find where the submitted baptism details came from?
Thanks

Joy Dean
13-02-10, 08:37
Would she be widowed by 1871?

There is one in Spilsby and one in Glanford Brigg about the right age.

ElizabethHerts
13-02-10, 08:45
Joy is correct - the one in Glanford Brigg looks more likely as place of birth (very faint) is Ludboro?

Person: APPLYARD, Ann
Address: Ackeridge, East Nott Hill, St Mary, Barton

1871 Census
APPLYARD, Ann
GLANFORD BRIGG, Lincolnshire
RG10 piece 3438 folio 46 page 23

The other one was born in Swaby

Olde Crone
13-02-10, 09:45
To try to find the source of the submitted record on the IGI, go back to the record you found and click on "source",(or anything else, if source isn't an option) which will hopefully lead you to a submitter's details. You may have to drill down a bit.

Sometimes there are no source details though and in that case, you cannot find out how it got onto the IGI.
EDIT - I've had a quick look at the IGI and the information came from a patron's ordinance submission sheet. You can find out who this person is/was, with MAYBE a current address, by ordering the sheet to view at your local LDS centre.

OC

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-02-10, 12:42
Thanks Joy & Elizabeth, that is her. She was a widow & in Barton in 1861, so that looks just right. Would it be possible for someone to send me the image please? I don't currently have an Ancestry sub.
Looking through my records, Appleyard is spelt a few different ways in 1871, it is a wonder I found any of them!

Thanks OC. I realised that it was a submitted entry, but having looked at the PR in Lincoln & finding very little for Ludborough, I wondered if there were more records available anywhere else.

Olde Crone
13-02-10, 13:25
Lynn

It is quite unusual for submitters to make up an actual date, so I think I would probably pursue this. It may have been a nonconformist baptism, for instance. The submitter seems to know who the father was, again a bit odd to make that up, it would seem likely to be true in as much as the information was taken from a "proper" record.

I do wish submitters would state an actual church though!

EDIT - Can I ask, did you look at both parish register AND Bishops transcripts? Occasionally something will be on one which isn't on the other.

Another POSSIBLE source of the information might be from a bastardy order. They always included a baptism date and the name of the father, of course. BOs were normally triggered very quickly after birth, by the parish poor law authorities. Lincoln RO may have details of this.

OC

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-02-10, 15:16
Thanks OC. I only looked at the PRs not BTs, I am assuming that they have them at the archives. I ssem to remember that there was very little in the PRs, just a very few entries. I agree that making up a date would seem odd, & adding a father's name. The fact that the same person also has Ann & James' marriage makes me think that it is the right Ann.

Olde Crone
13-02-10, 18:18
Lynn

According to the LDS library, the original parish register and the BTs for Ludborough are both in Lincoln Records Office.

OC

ElizabethHerts
13-02-10, 18:33
Just to reassure you, this is the burial

Parish Records Collection - burial
First name(s): Ann
Last name: APPLEYARD
Date of burial: 12 May 1878
Age at death: 89
Calculated year of birth: 1789
Place of burial: Great Grimsby
Dedication: St Mary & St James

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-02-10, 21:09
Thanks OC & Elizabeth. I am planning to send off for the death cert & might well contact the archives to see if they would look for the baptism, seeing as I have a date.

Lynn the Forest Fan
14-02-10, 13:47
I've ordered the cert today & thanks to Joy for sending me the very faded image :)

Joy Dean
14-02-10, 21:55
I've ordered the cert today & thanks to Joy for sneding me the very faded image :)

You're welcome :)

Lynn the Forest Fan
18-02-10, 08:00
I did order the cert, but am having to order again as it needs to come from Grimsby not Lincoln :(

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-02-10, 11:39
I eventually ordered the cert from the GRO becuase Grimsby were charging £7.50! It arrived this morning & is certainly the right one. Just need to find out about her baptism & parentage now.