PDA

View Full Version : Australia again

anne fraser
11-02-10, 22:23
I am still intrigued by the Horne family in Australia. I have Selina Horne born 1812 in Moreton in Marsh. In 1831 she marries Richard Beckingsale in Moreton in Marsh Glos. I have a possible death for Richard in 1843 but no sign of Selina. Ancestry is showing a burial record for Selina Beckingsale in 1882 in Victoria and a family tree has a possible birth of a Thomas Horne Beckingsale.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is the same Selina. Her parents were Thomas Horne and Rebecca Clifford. If not can anyone find what happened to Selina.

kiterunner
11-02-10, 22:38
Although you have to use credits to view the Victoria BMD index entries, you can search for free and keep changing your search to figure out what some of the data is without paying. The link is below.

Victoria BMD indexes (http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Historical+research-Search+historical+indexes?OpenDocument&1=60-Historical+research~&2=10-Search+historical+indexes~&3=~)

So, yes, they have a Selina Beckingsale death listed in 1882, father's name is Thomas and spouse's name Richard. It says her father's surname was Home (instead of Horne) and her mother's name wasn't Rebecca, but it says her mother's maiden name was Clifford, so I'm sure those are just mistakes and it is definitely your Selina.

anne fraser
11-02-10, 22:44
Thanks Kite that was quick. I wonder what she was doing in Australia. It gets complicated as her stepsister Louisa married Richard's brother John Beckingsale and I think went to New Zealand. I was expecting to find Selina there as well.

Kit
12-02-10, 00:04
You can search NZ BMDs for free, Anne. Might be worth looking to see if Louisa really did go to NZ.

KiwiChris
12-02-10, 03:36
The NZ BMD has a few Beckingsale deaths including a Thomas Home age 68 in 1902. No Louisa and the only John was age 9 weeks in 1912.

Thomas Home Beckingsale might be interesting, given the info that Kate found. There does not appear to be a marriage for him here.

KiwiChris
12-02-10, 03:44
Ancestry has a Thomas of about the right age in Moreton in the Marsh in 1851. He says he was b in Evesham Warwickshire and is a servant in a house full of Home's. :confused:

marquette
12-02-10, 03:46
there is some references to Thomas Horne Beckingsale on the NAA newspapers TROVE website - they seem to be to do with a bankruptcy, so maybe he went off to NZ after....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=thomas horne beckingsale

Di

KiwiChris
12-02-10, 04:00
I have found his death notice on paperspast and there it says Thomas Horn, husband of Sarah. Died Nov 28th 1902.

KiwiChris
12-02-10, 04:02
Free BMD has a marriage of Thomas Horne Beckingsale in 1862, but none of the brides are Sarah

Mary from Italy
12-02-10, 11:06
NZ BMD site:

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

anne fraser
12-02-10, 12:57
Thanks. I have seen the Thomas Beckingsale with the Hornes. If I am right they would be his grandparents, but he could easily be the child of the other couple or no relation at all. Just when you knock down one brick wall you find a few more. I thought Selina's death in Australia was clutching at straws. The bancrupcy notices are a good find. I am suprised he did not come home as his family in Moreton were quite wealthy. One of Selina's nephews went to Oamaru Otago (another Thomas Horne) and became a farmer. I have the details of his children and I think some of the Beckingsale family joined them. Evesham is quite close to Moreton.

I think I have found Louisa's death in 1850 0n freeBMD and John with children including Louisa in Cheltenham.

Mary from Italy
12-02-10, 15:53
There are 66 hits for the surname Beckingsale in the NZ archives, which might be worth a look:

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/

anne fraser
12-02-10, 16:04
Beckinsale, Thomas Horne - Oamaru - Labourer

Thanks I have just found this one under bancrupcy files.

anne fraser
13-02-10, 14:47

I don't know if any of you remember helping me with Moses Wilton another of my strays who went to Australia. Well a quick update I have been in touch with one of his descendents in Melbourne who gave me this picture of him.

Mary from Italy
13-02-10, 15:53
Ooh, brilliant!