PDA

View Full Version : Family dispersal in 1841

Macbev
11-02-10, 13:03
This is a Forlorn Hope request.

I have a family that was scattered in 1841 after the father was committed to the Queen's Bench prison for debt. I think I have found a few members, but three seem to have disappeared without trace. None of them died, because they are all accounted for in 1851.

John GOULD;b.1780 Wilts;cleric;( found - HO107:1084;Enumeration District: Queens Bench Prison; Folio: 16;Page: 2; Line: 19; GSU roll: 474668.)

Mary GOULD;wife;b. 1792 Dorset

Mary GOULD;daughter;b.1819 Beaconsfield Bucks

Elizabeth Hussey GOULD;daughter;b.1822 Beaconsfield Bucks; (possibly E.H.GOULD, pupil teacher,HO107; Piece 130; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Oswald; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 15; Page: 25; Line: 10; GSU roll: 241256.)

Susanna GOULD;daughter;b.1823 Beaconsfield Bucks;(possibly Susannah Gould, pupil, HO107; Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale; County: Westmorland; Enumeration District: 5; Page: 19; Line: 2; GSU roll: 464191.

Alice GOULD;daughter;b.1825 Beaconsfield Bucks (fairly sure this is correct, as there is a Gertrude of the right age at school with her: Brighthelmstone/Sussex;HO107/1122/pg 1;line 4)

John Henry GOULD;son;b.1826 Beaconsfield Bucks (earliest sighting of him is 1849 attending Merton College)

Gertrude Stirling GOULD;b.1830 Beaconsfield Bucks (see note for Alice)

I know it seems odd that the possible references are scattered about the countryside, but there was a public appeal for relief for the family in 1838 and I think various friends of the family may have made provision for the education of the children wherever they could.

Unfortunately Mary and John Gould are not exactly uncommon names. However, I tend to discount any labourers or tradespeople I encounter, as the family persisted in thinking of themselves as gentry to the bitter end and I have never discovered any of this family engaging in manual work. Invariably,they were 'living on independent means.'

I have set out to search for them on several occasions and have mostly drawn a blank.

I don't expect miracles, but with this Forum, one never knows:p

Georgette
11-02-10, 13:16
Don't know if this is of much help, but the school at Kirkby Lonsdale was for Clergymen's daughters, so that does sound likely for your Susannah, as her father was a cleric.

It's the same school that was attended by the Brontë sisters and was the inspiration for Lowood (:eek:) in Jane Eyre. My grt grandmother and her sisters also went there but at a later date.

It's still a school :http://www.castertonschool.co.uk/

Macbev
11-02-10, 13:22
That's interesting, Georgette. I agree, it seems highly likely, as a lot of names on the public appeal were clergymen.
Thank you.

kiterunner
11-02-10, 13:24
Ooh, I wonder if that's the same school that my grandfather's third cousin Kathleen Douglas Hewitt (nee Brown) went too? Her father was a clergyman and I remember in her autobiography she mentioned being sent to a boarding school somewhere in that area. I've lent the book out and not got it back yet, so I can't check.

Georgette
11-02-10, 13:35
Might have been, Kate! It wasn't always like Lowood, my grt grandmother sent a postcard of the school to my grandfather telling him of the fond memories she had of her time there :)

anne fraser
11-02-10, 15:13
I have just been rereading your article on the family in the family tree forum magazine -fascinating stuff. No help with the present querry but have you seen this? http://www.bucksstainedglass.org.uk/HTML/0070.htm

Macbev
11-02-10, 16:53
I have, thanks, Anne. Gorgeous windows, aren't they? My photos really didn't do justice to them and i had to rely on Rachel to make a better fist of it.

I'm away to bed now...will look in tomorrow to see if anyone else has had some clever thoughts on where to find the strays.