PDA

View Full Version : 1901 census help please or any other info please

brenmac
10-02-10, 17:44
census look up please 1901
hi im looking for peter watson living at 1 regent road,leicestershire, 1904.can someone help me with a census.
i beleive this is the father of my uncle colin lennox....he was brought up by my grandad but i have his birth certificate, and my nannie was his mum marie louise dunnett but peter was his father on his birth certificate.born 1904 in south leicestershire. peter was down as working as a wool carder ...many thanks brenda xxx colin lennox born 15/06/1904 was regitered twice,his mums surname dunnett and peter,s watson,nannie hadnt married grandad untill 1908 in leicester but moved to leeds. with peter watson
30,newtown street leicester

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:02
Just to avoid duplication, I've tried helping Bren with this on FTF, but drawn a blank so far.

This is Colin's birth:

Births Sep 1904
DUNNETT Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288
WATSON Colin Lennox Leicester 7a 288

On his birth cert the place of birth and his mother's address is given as 1 Regent Road (which I think may be the Regent Road maternity hospital). His father is shown as Peter Watson, wool carder, of 30 Newtown Street, Leicester.

I can't find a Peter Watson born or living in Leics. in 1901 or 1911, and there's no burial in that name in the main Leicester cemetery, but perhaps someone with an FMP sub could do an address search to see who was living at 30 Newtown Street, Leicester in 1911?

Bren also thinks Peter may have been Scottish - off to check the 1901 Scottish census.

brenmac
10-02-10, 18:05
thankyou mary .......hope someone here might help brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:10
Ooh! Possibly got him first time- Should have thought of the 1901 Scottish census sooner. Doesn't take us very far, though, because he's a boarder with another family if it's the right person.

Peter Watson, wool carder, aged 35, born Inverness, living at 35 Wells Street, Inverness with Ann Fraser, her children Colin, Andrew and Jane, and visitors Christina McKenzie and James McSwayed.

This is the only person on the 1901 Scottish census with the right occupation. And I think Lennox is a Scottish name.

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:20
Can't see Peter yet in the earlier Scottish censuses; I've found Ann Fraser with her husband Alexander and children in 1881 and 1891, but Peter isn't with them (I wondered if he might be Ann's brother).

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:28
There are quite a few Peter Watson births on Scotlandspeople at around the right time (1866-ish), but none in the Inverness district. There are also a few Watson-Lennox marriages (I wondered if his mother's maiden name might have been Lennox), but again, none in the Inverness district.

Is the 1911 Scottish census online yet?

kiterunner
10-02-10, 18:31
No, we have to wait a while yet for that, unfortunately.

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:41
In the 1891 Scottish census there's also a Peter Watson, 20, wool carder, born St Ninians, Stirlingshire, living at Hayford Lodge, St Ninians, Stirlingshire, with parents James and Catherine and sister Agnes.

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 18:44
Ooh, bingo! (unless it's an almighty coincidence).

In 1881 that Peter Watson, aged 10, is living at St. Ninians with parents James and Catherine, sisters Mary and Agnes and maternal grandfather Peter Lennox.

Now perhaps we're getting somewhere.

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 19:05
Bren, I'll send you a PM with the full census details, becuse I don't think we can cut and paste them here.

I've found them back to 1861 in Scotland. There's a probable marriage for Catherine Lennox and James Watson at Kincardine, Perthshire (where Catherine was born) in 1865 on Scotlandspeople, but you have to buy credits to get the details.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 19:07
Still can't see Peter on the 1911 English census, so maybe he went back to Scotland.

Mary from Italy
10-02-10, 20:00
Now I have the right birthdate, there's a birth for Peter Watson in St. Ninian's, Stirlingshire in 1871 on Scotlandspeople.

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 08:32
Just a thought - Scotlands people are giving a few free credits to people from Aus and NZ at the moment. Perhaps your cousin in Aus might like to take up the offer and do the look-ups for you?

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/roots

brenmac
11-02-10, 09:18
wow thankyou all so much i cant thankyou enough i wondered why nannie was in a kilt and had dad dressed in one too.we always thought colin was grandads.she was a strict cathlick and would not divorce grandad but she had a secret love child well well well brenda xx

brenmac
11-02-10, 09:19
Just a thought - Scotlands people are giving a few free credits to people from Aus and NZ at the moment. Perhaps your cousin in Aus might like to take up the offer and do the look-ups for you?

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/roots

i will ask him your all fantastic thankyou;) brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 09:24
I wonder why she and Peter didn't marry? The usual reason in those days was that one party was already married. It looks as though Peter was single in 1901; at least, he isn't living with a wife, but the Ancestry transcription doesn't give marital status.

It'll be interesting to see who he's with in 1911 when the Scottish census comes online.

Or perhaps he died before he and your Nan could marry. He must have been a decent chap, because he went with her to register Colin's birth (his name wouldn't be on the cert otherwise).

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 09:26
Bear in mind that we don't have 100% proof that the Peter Watson born in St. Ninian's in 1871 is the same one who fathered Colin, but I think it's extremely likely in view of the middle name Lennox.

brenmac
11-02-10, 09:53
it all fits......lennox is not an english name.maybe he was not a catholick that was reason sometime she married grandad who left her when the 3 boys were young,colin did not look like my dad or his brother.i have been trying to find a scotish connection all the time i found out abot colin .....again thankyou.i will see if i can find any of there family for colins children.i cant beleive how all this info has come out.i cant thank you enough brenda xxxx

see my picture thats nannie naughty girl lol.

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 11:05
That's a very cute picture.

I'll have a look later to see if I can trace any of Peter's siblings forwards.

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 11:12
By the way, did you notice in the census details I PM'd you last night that it looks as if Peter's father James had two daughters, Annie and Mary, by a previous marriage, before he married Catherine? They're the grandchildren shown living with James and his mother in 1861.

brenmac
11-02-10, 11:35
thankyou....no i have just printed them of to send to my sister ...peter was 14 years older than my nannie...i have colins he had 2 sons and a daughter who died in 2002,so im hoping his sons are alive so i can pass the info on to them.im trying to find where they are .

joan w taylor born 1939 died 2002
******* born 1932
****** born 1936

so they could be still alive.colin married winnifred gay 1930 in leeds i believe she was born 1906

brenda xxx

Margaret in Burton
11-02-10, 12:42
Bren

If they are still alive you shouldn't put their names on here.

brenmac
11-02-10, 17:55
sorry i dont know whether they are or not..someone has blanked them out thankyou.brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 18:32
I always forget that the IGI has a lot of Scottish information.

Here's Peter's birth (it's an extracted entry, so should be reliable):

PETER WATSON
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 01 JAN 1871 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Christening:

Parents:
Father: JAMES WATSON
Mother: CATHERINE LENNOX

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 18:34
And his parents' marriage (also extracted):

JAMES WATSON
Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
Spouse: CATHERINE LENNOX
Marriage: 10 DEC 1865 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 18:37
Probable marriage for Catherine's parents (she was born in Kincardine, Perthshire):

PETER LENNOX
Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
Spouse: AGNES RICHARDSON
Marriage: 16 NOV 1822 Kincardine By Doune, Perth, Scotland

Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Kincardine (Perthshire)

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 18:39
And marriage of James' parents:

JOHN WATSON
Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
Spouse: ANN BAXTER
Marriage: 25 JAN 1829 Crieff, Perth, Scotland

Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Crieff (Perthshire)

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 18:58
It looks as though Peter and Agnes Lennox had about 11 children, born in Kincardine by Doune, Perthshire.

If you put their names as parents in the IGI and Perth as the county, but nothing else, their names will come up.

brenmac
11-02-10, 19:14
mary thankyou.....i sure have kept you busy many thanks brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 19:32
I think this is James Watson's first marriage:

JAMES WATSON
Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
Spouse: MARIANNE BREMBER
Marriage: 10 SEP 1853 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

And this is one of their children:

ANN WATSON
Female

Event(s):
Birth: 02 OCT 1856 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Parents:
Father: JAMES WATSON
Mother: MARY ANN BREMBER

Can't see the other child, Mary.

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 19:37
These are Peter Watson's siblings (all from the IGI):

AGNES WATSON
Gender: Female Birth: 05 NOV 1866 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotla

JOHN WATSON
Gender: Male Birth: 09 JUL 1869 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

CATHERINE WATSON
Gender: Female Birth: 11 FEB 1874 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

Mary from Italy
11-02-10, 19:41
According to ScotlandsPeople, a Mary Ann Watson died at St. Ninian's in 1857. Again, you'd need credits to get the full details, but this would fit with a death in childbirth when Annie was born.

brenmac
12-02-10, 14:15
These are Peter Watson's siblings (all from the IGI):

AGNES WATSON
Gender: Female Birth: 05 NOV 1866 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotla

JOHN WATSON
Gender: Male Birth: 09 JUL 1869 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

CATHERINE WATSON
Gender: Female Birth: 11 FEB 1874 Saint Ninians, Stirling, Scotland

so peter married then?so colin had half sisters and brother?brenda xxx

brenmac
12-02-10, 14:18
According to ScotlandsPeople, a Mary Ann Watson died at St. Ninian's in 1857. Again, you'd need credits to get the full details, but this would fit with a death in childbirth when Annie was born.

her mum ann watson died in childbirth having mary?brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
12-02-10, 15:11
As Ann (aka Annie) Watson was born in St. Ninian's in 1857 to a mother called Mary Ann or Marianne Watson, and a Mary Ann Watson died in St. Ninian's in 1857, I would guess that Mary Ann was Ann's mother who died in childbirth.

There's also a daughter of James Watson called Mary on the censuses, born c. 1855, but I haven't found her baptism so far.

Mary from Italy
12-02-10, 15:11
so peter married then?so colin had half sisters and brother?brenda xxx

No, these are Peter's brothers and sisters, not his children.

brenmac
12-02-10, 16:15
thankyou just put them on the tree.im going to see if i can find any of his 2 remaining sons and see if there alive(colin lennox watson taylor)i mean lol,so it seems peter never married then,sad i wonder if she loved him. brenda xxxagain mary a big thankyou for all your time brenda xxx

Mary from Italy
12-02-10, 16:33
I can't tell if Peter Watson married or not.

It'd be useful to get the image of the 1901 Scottish census from ScotlandsPeople, in the hope that it gives his marital status (English census images do, but I'm not sure about Scottish ones).

I haven't found his death yet; his death cert would perhaps also give his marital status.

brenmac
12-02-10, 20:46
yes i agree.he might not have stayed in scotland,could have come back to england...colin has put taylor on his marriage certificate and his 3 children are down as taylor too,i wonder if they were ever told.brenda xxx