PDA

View Full Version : Relationship question please

Rachel
01-04-24, 09:18
Good day all on April 1st????

I have a new distant cousin and would love to know our relationship but my braincell seriously doesn't 'do' this sort of thing, even if I have a relationship chart in front of me!
(failed maths 'O' level).

Right ...

Cousin's Great Grand Aunt married an older brother of my Great Grandfather.

Does this mean we have Great Great Grandparents in common or is there a 'removed' or 'half' in there somewhere?

TIA

kiterunner
01-04-24, 09:24
Is this an April Fool, Rachel?! That can't be how you are related to each other. Think about it - forgetting the generations, if the connection is that their aunt is married to your uncle, then the two of you aren't related to each other.

Merry
01-04-24, 09:55
The only blood link would be if the couple you mention had descendants, you and the other person would both be related to those descendants (in different ways), but not to each other.

Rachel
01-04-24, 12:04
Is this an April Fool, Rachel?! That can't be how you are related to each other. Think about it - forgetting the generations, if the connection is that their aunt is married to your uncle, then the two of you aren't related to each other.

No I'm deadly serious.

Years ago I posted a question on another forum and it turned out that the person was a half third cousin once removed, so I was assuming this might be similar.

Rachel
01-04-24, 12:06
The only blood link would be if the couple you mention had descendants, you and the other person would both be related to those descendants (in different ways), but not to each other.

Crikey!

More research needed I think.

Thank you both:)

Merry
02-04-24, 07:58
Cousin's Great Grand Aunt married an older brother of my Great Grandfather.

Does this help?

From the above, your blood relations are:

Your parent
Your grandparent
Your great-grandfather
Your great-grandfather's brother

From the above, your 'cousin's' blood relatives are:

Their parent
Their grandparent
Their great-grandparent
Their great-grandparent's sister

If you consider your great-grandfather's brother could have married anyone and/or had multiple marriages, and it doesn't make the person or people he married any blood relative of yours unless he married his own cousin, but if that was the case, I presume you would have mentioned it in your opening post. If he did marry a relative then you would need to know that relationship before you could work out how you are related to your 'cousin'.

Rachel
02-04-24, 21:41
Does this help?

From the above, your blood relations are:

Your parent
Your grandparent
Your great-grandfather
Your great-grandfather's brother

From the above, your 'cousin's' blood relatives are:

Their parent
Their grandparent
Their great-grandparent
Their great-grandparent's sister

If you consider your great-grandfather's brother could have married anyone and/or had multiple marriages, and it doesn't make the person or people he married any blood relative of yours unless he married his own cousin, but if that was the case, I presume you would have mentioned it in your opening post. If he did marry a relative then you would need to know that relationship before you could work out how you are related to your 'cousin'.

Thank you Merry, for explaining in words that make sense.
As far as I know, the brother married ONCE only and not to a cousin, nor any member of the family.

So, my contact and I will be content to remain 'peripherals' :D

Olde Crone
03-04-24, 15:24
The only connection I ever made on GR (and Lost Cousins) was related to my 3x ggf. It turned out though, that my ggf had a brother who married, he died and his widow remarried, then died in childbirth. Her widower remarried and the connection was through him. No blood relation at all, but I did put all this info on my tree to act as a kind of full stop, to prevent me from going down the same dead ends time after time!

OC

Rachel
03-04-24, 15:37
The only connection I ever made on GR (and Lost Cousins) was related to my 3x ggf. It turned out though, that my ggf had a brother who married, he died and his widow remarried, then died in childbirth. Her widower remarried and the connection was through him. No blood relation at all, but I did put all this info on my tree to act as a kind of full stop, to prevent me from going down the same dead ends time after time!

OC

My goodness that sounds complicated!
I have copious notes on my trees on Tribalpages, thank goodness, plus a few things on the computer and the rest in my head,

My house was flooded Dec. 22 and my family history files have vanished.

Olde Crone
03-04-24, 16:00
Oh, Rachel!I

There's no amount of Insurance money that could ever cover that.

OC

Rachel
03-04-24, 16:30
Oh, Rachel!I

There's no amount of Insurance money that could ever cover that.

OC

Thank you OC. I agree!

It's really very VERY odd.
The files (ring binders etc) were unaffected and I thought I'd removed them with my big ring binder, which has all my certs in.
Thankfully, that one's here with me but the others are nowhere to be found and the storage company says everything has been returned.

Every so often, I search through boxes of stuff, thinking I've overlooked them but without success.

I need a psychic/clairvoyant to give me a clue????