PDA

View Full Version : Opening a GEDCOM - Help!

Piwacket
11-02-24, 11:38
My Family tree is on GR - having been contacted by a distant cousin who’d been researching - I offered him a Gedcom…. Which I’ve now received from GR - but it won’t open unless I download an App - can anyone help as to which App, and can I do it on an iPad, which I prefer to use?

kiterunner
11-02-24, 11:44
You don't need to open it if you just want to send it on to your contact, but if you do want to open it, you would need to use some kind of family tree software for it to make any sense.

Piwacket
11-02-24, 12:07
Thanks Kite - I did send it straight to the cousin, and he’s come back to me saying ‘it looks odd’ - can I look at it and comment. But I can’t open it myself. Could you suggest which family research site to use please?

kiterunner
11-02-24, 13:18
You don't need to use a site, but you would need some family tree software that works on the device that you are using. Apparently there is an app called GedView which works on iPads. And there are some other apps listed on the link below but you would need to check which of them import GEDCOMs:

https://www.cyndislist.com/mobile/ios/#google_vignette

Piwacket
11-02-24, 18:25
Thanks very much Kite :)

JBee
12-02-24, 14:00
I download any of my gedcoms from ancestry onto several of my trees on tribal pages.

www.tribalpages.com - you can choose your tree name and then download.

Only if you want to print charts etc do you need to get a paid sub