PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong ......

vita
11-02-24, 10:58
......as I often am about these things in presuming g/grandmother was the
Harriet Headland who died 1915 in Uxbridge. The family had strong connections to Uxbridge & the age was right, but now records are more accessible I've been doing some checking & find the lady in question is not after all my Harriet but the widow of William Headland, a Naval Quartermaster, whereas g/grandfather was Henry William Headland, silversmith.
My Harriet was b 1837 Clerkenwell, m Henry William 1855 & was widowed in 1886.From 1860s she was living in Hackney
Informer on Uxbridge Harriet's death cert is daughter Harriet E. Warwick, not a name I've ever come across before, & I haven't yet checked up on naval William but I'm pretty sure he will be one of mine with the Uxbridge connection.
However, I can't find the death record for my Harriet & though I don't think she remarried I've checked & can't find any record of one.
I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I've been looking at this for a few days now & am ready to admit my inadequacies.

kiterunner
11-02-24, 11:23
The one whose death you have found is in Uxbridge on the 1911 census with the Warwick family and her birthplace is Tenterden, Kent and her daughter Harriet E Warwick was born in Aberdeen about 1868, just to confirm it definitely isn't your Harriet.

kiterunner
11-02-24, 11:28
Is your Harriet last seen on the 1891 census in Hackney, Vita, or have you found her after that? (Sorry, I don't think I have time to reread all the previous threads about her!)

kiterunner
11-02-24, 11:32
And have you previously ruled out the death of Harriet Headlam in Hackney Oct-Dec 1900, age 65?

vita
11-02-24, 11:39
Thanks,Kite - Tenterden Harriet definitely not mine.
Yes to your next question & no to the second.

crawfie
11-02-24, 11:56
There is a death for a Harriet Headlam, b 1835, died Dec Q 1900 in Hackney. Can't see anything else for someone of that name in that area, so might be your Harriet with a mangled name. Might be worth splashing out the couple of pounds for a copy of the DC.

Cross posted with Kiterunner!

vita
11-02-24, 12:34
There is a death for a Harriet Headlam, b 1835, died Dec Q 1900 in Hackney. Can't see anything else for someone of that name in that area, so might be your Harriet with a mangled name. Might be worth splashing out the couple of pounds for a copy of the DC.

Cross posted with Kiterunner!

Thanks Crawfie - tried,but I got 'No matches found!'

kiterunner
11-02-24, 13:26
That's funny. It must be mistranscribed somehow, because other death records on that same page are coming up, but I can't figure out how to find it. I've tried all the letters of the alphabet replacing the initial H on the surname, and left the given name out altogether, and still not got it.

kiterunner
11-02-24, 13:27
D'oh - as soon as I had posted that, I tried another variation and it came back with Headland as the surname!!! Try that!

vita
11-02-24, 13:45
D'oh - as soon as I had posted that, I tried another variation and it came back with Headland as the surname!!! Try that!

Thanks, Kite - will do.

vita
11-02-24, 14:02
Got it! Thanks for input. Now I I'll get onto mariner William & family to see if they are indeed some of mine.