PDA

View Full Version : Have I got this right

JBee
28-11-23, 15:28
that they're not charging for obtaining historical army records now?

Think it cost me £30 a few years ago.

kiterunner
28-11-23, 15:50
According to the Government website, there is no fee:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

Mary from Italy
28-11-23, 18:27
The "no fee" applies to records held by the MOD. It says there may be a fee for those held by TNA.

JBee
29-11-23, 08:08
That's good but wonder what the waiting time will be once this is known.

Phoenix
29-11-23, 10:33
As I understand it, Kew is packed to the gunwales with WW2 docs, which are going to be digitised by Ancestry. I imagine that access will be difficult for the next couple of years (or so)

Olde Crone
29-11-23, 13:49
I think records from the MOD have always appeared at a very leisurely pace anyway, anything up to a year.

OC

Margaret in Burton
29-11-23, 15:04
I think records from the MOD have always appeared at a very leisurely pace anyway, anything up to a year.

OC

Took 13 months to get my father in laws

Merry
29-11-23, 19:39

OC

Yes, I remember when my father-in-law applied for his own record. After about 14 months he complained, saying he would be dead if they didn't hurry up (he was 90 at the time). The envelope arrived about a week later! On the other hand, when I applied for my father's record it came in under two weeks, but that may have been because he was in the RAF (with fewer service personnel) not the army/navy.

Margaret in Burton
30-11-23, 08:12
It will be better once Ancestry have digitised them. The MOD don’t have people wanting historical records as any sort of priority.

Mary from Italy
30-11-23, 19:04
Yes, it should make a huge difference.

Anstey Nomad
01-12-23, 10:31
Wow! Have intended to apply for my father's for years in the hope that it may give some clue as to my unknown sibling. feels like a step closer.

Merry
01-12-23, 11:24
Wow! Have intended to apply for my father's for years in the hope that it may give some clue as to my unknown sibling. feels like a step closer.

None of the post-1920 records I have (maybe 12 sets?) have any info on the children of the serviceman. :(

Anstey Nomad
01-12-23, 12:42
I wondered if there might be a disciplinary matter/child support/whatever.

Olde Crone
01-12-23, 14:23
AN

I applied for service records for my friend's grandfather in a vain attempt to discover the name of the wife and children he had abandoned. The names were redacted! But, as the records are free, it's worth a punt for you.

OC

Anstey Nomad
02-12-23, 20:07
AN

I applied for service records for my friend's grandfather in a vain attempt to discover the name of the wife and children he had abandoned. The names were redacted! But, as the records are free, it's worth a punt for you.

OC

I've now made an application.