PDA

View Full Version : Bride of Timothie Allan?

ElizabethHerts
22-11-23, 20:08
Please could some kind soul tell me who is the bride of Timothie Allan in 1685 at Broughton, Lincolnshire?

I've let my FMP subscription lapse. Family Search say it's Grisill Longhorn but I wonder if that is incorrect?

Edit: I think the FMP transcription is Scapham.

If this is so, this is my 8x-great-grandmother marrying for the third time. Her first husband was Thomas Abbey, who died in 1678. She then married Thomas Scupholm (variant spellings). He was buried in 1683.

Merry
22-11-23, 20:52
Looking at the image, I'd say Grisill Scupham. 100% not Longhorn!

ElizabethHerts
22-11-23, 20:55
Looking at the image, I'd say Grisill Scupham. 100% not Longhorn!

That's great, Merry! Thanks.

There's a Stow will for Timothy Allon of Broughton in 1693, which I shall have to order, if I can remember how. I hope Grisill is mentioned. I have never been able to find her first marriage to Thomas Abbey so I don't know her maiden name.

Katarzyna
23-11-23, 09:49
Looks like his brother married the same day:

Allixsander Allan and Ann Butan
3 Feb 1685
Broughton, Lincs

ElizabethHerts
23-11-23, 09:57
Looks like his brother married the same day:

Allixsander Allan and Ann Butan
3 Feb 1685
Broughton, Lincs

Thanks, Kat.

Olde Crone
23-11-23, 09:58
I'm sure you already know this, Elizabeth, but the name Grizell translates to/from Grace in the Scottish Highlands. Along with Allixander posted by Kat, is there possibly a Scots connection?

OC

ElizabethHerts
23-11-23, 10:51
I'm sure you already know this, Elizabeth, but the name Grizell translates to/from Grace in the Scottish Highlands. Along with Allixander posted by Kat, is there possibly a Scots connection?

OC

It's possible, OC, although I've found a few Grizells/Griseldas in other parts of the country, including Hertfordshire.