PDA

View Full Version : Question about London districts

Merry
26-07-23, 13:38
I'm looking for someone who says they were born at "Old Ford Row" in about 1890. I'm trying to establish which reg district that would be and have settled on Poplar. Here's what that covers:

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/poplar.html

But is Old Ford Row the same as Old Ford? And am I correct that Old Ford is part of St Mary's, Stratford le Bow? And if that's right, is that still the same area for Old Ford Row

maggie_4_7
26-07-23, 13:56
Its actually Stratford-at-Bow, and Old Ford is in both Stepney and Bow.

Not sure if Old Ford Row is now Old Ford Road this road starts in Bethnal Green and runs parallel with the side of Victoria Park in one part up to Fish Island and Hackney Wick. Its a long road.

It could be Poplar reg district but depends if Old Ford Row is what is now the Old Ford Road. So could be Bethnal Green or Stepney even Mile End!

Sue from Southend
26-07-23, 14:04
Its actually Stratford-at-Bow, and Old Ford is in both Stepney and Bow.

Not sure if Old Ford Row is now Old Ford Road this road starts in Bethnal Green and runs parallel with the side of Victoria Park in one part up to Fish Island and Hackney Wick. Its a long road.

It could be Poplar reg district but depends if Old Ford Row is what is now the Old Ford Road. So could be Bethnal Green or Stepney even Mile End!

Oh, the delights of London research :d

Merry
26-07-23, 14:15
Ok, thank you very much, Maggie - I had a feeling it might be something like that! I will keep my options open and search all four districts at once!

Thanks again :)

maggie_4_7
26-07-23, 14:24
Ok, thank you very much, Maggie - I had a feeling it might be something like that! I will keep my options open and search all four districts at once!

Thanks again :)

The districts and parishes around here are difficult when it comes to registration and I know it really well. Of course now its all Tower Hamlets or Hackney. The other side of Victoria Park is Hackney the end of it is Bow :d

Merry
26-07-23, 14:58
The person I'm looking for may well be telling porkies anyway, but at least i know where they SAID they were born could be somewhere in those areas!

Phoenix
26-07-23, 15:38
An FH friend I've known for thirty years couldn't find an 1893 marriage that took place in Southwark because she was looking in Surrey. Trying to remember all the boundary changes and when they took place is a challenge and a half.

Merry
15-08-23, 12:32
Another London reg district Q :D

I'm researching someone who says they were born in Bethnal Green in 1878. I don't think they were, but may well have been born somewhere that borders onto Bethnal Green.

So.....I need to know the contiguous registration districts to BG.

From Google plus looking at a map, I'm wondering about:

Shoreditch
Whitechapel
MEOT
Poplar
Hackney?

Are those correct? Any other suggestions? :)

kiterunner
15-08-23, 13:03
If you look at the UKBMD info on Bethnal Green district, those that you listed are the ones which are mentioned in the various boundary changes:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/bethnal%20green.html

kiterunner
15-08-23, 13:05
You could also try Stepney.

Merry
15-08-23, 13:49
Ok, yes, thanks Kate.

maggie_4_7
15-08-23, 15:30
Are you still looking for the same person?

Merry
15-08-23, 17:26
Hi Maggie, this is a different person to the Old Ford one. I think this one was probably born with a different surname so may be impossible!!

maggie_4_7
15-08-23, 17:38
Hi Maggie, this is a different person to the Old Ford one. I think this one was probably born with a different surname so may be impossible!!

Ahh okay, did you find the other one?

Merry
15-08-23, 19:26
No, but it was for someone else and I don't even remember who it was now!! lol