PDA

View Full Version : Well that escalated quickly

Glen TK
22-07-23, 14:58
In the space of 24 hours I've had my dna results turn into an even bigger tangled mess.

I have a big group of mystery maternal matches and built trees for most of them which go back to the same couple. The two big matches are sisters 9one now deceased), they appear to link to me on their maternal side and I've been in touch with the big match for almost a year. At no point has she indicated Ancestry had assigned me as a link through her paternal side until dropping that little nugget out of the blue the other day.

I also managed to persuade a close maternal relative "A" to test and I'm managing the results, those results are in. This relative is a 1c1r and I have another maternal 1c1r match "B".

B to me is 385cM across 18 segments. Longest segment 55cM
A to me is 180cM across 11 segments. Longest segment: 53 cM

A to B Shared DNA: 395 cM across 22 segments. Longest segment: 45 cM

Back to head scratching again and trying to forget someone didn't reveal a little snippet of information about which parent 7-8 months ago.

kiterunner
22-07-23, 15:14
Sorry but I'm not really sure what you are asking, or what the thread title means? DNA Painter's shared cM tool gives 1C1R as a possibility for both 385 cM and 180 cM. You don't say how A and B are supposed to be related to each other so I don't know whether 395 cM fits with that.

I got a PM from you the other day but I was away on holiday, so I will have a look now and see if I can suggest anything to help.

Also if they are using the new "Sideline" feature on Ancestry to see which side their DNA matches are on, it is still in beta and it usually says Parent 1 and Parent 2 and the person who took the DNA test has to determine which of those parents is their mother and which is their father, so it is possible for people to mislabel them.

Glen TK
22-07-23, 15:49
We are all supposed to have the same ancestral couple which are my grandparents and great grandparents to A & B (making them 2nd cousins to each other). The amounts do fit those relationships but they also fit with both A and B being my half 1c1r, it's not conclusive either way.

The shared matches between myself, A and B are only through my grandmother. A & B do not match to anyone in the two groups you already know of (Wesseldine and Kinslow).

kiterunner
22-07-23, 16:38
Having refreshed my memory of your DNA matches, I still think that maybe the match in question has mis-assigned parent 1 and parent 2 (i.e. put them the wrong way round).

Glen TK
22-07-23, 16:54
Based on what she said in one message this week I tend to agree, she mentioned matching to someone on hre paternal side and then listed surnames that are her maternal side.