PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two families.

HarrysMum
19-07-23, 01:11
If you have your DNA on Ancestry and you manage another person’s DNA account as well, is there any way of finding if there are any common matches?

I know I can go through each person and see if they are on my matches, but we are talking almost 20,000.

I also know you can pick people and see if they are matches with you from their trees, but I’m wondering if I can put my name somewhere and see if any of my matches belong to the other person? If that makes sense………..

Phoenix
19-07-23, 08:36
I wish I knew. I'm doing it the hard way.

kiterunner
19-07-23, 18:26
No, there is no easy way.

HarrysMum
20-07-23, 00:31
Thanks .

crawfie
20-07-23, 15:34
Apart from shared matches on Ancestry, which I think only works for 4th cousin and higher match, the one I use is on GEDcom, where you can find people who match 2 kits. I have tried this with me and my 2nd cousin's DNA and it has brought up 80 matches. however you are obviously limited to the people who have uploaded their DNA kits to GEDcom.

marquette
27-07-23, 07:48
You could upload both DNA files to GEDmatch, for free and use their free tool "People who match 1 or 2 kits". This compares matches from both and tells you if any are in both.

I have done it for my family kits, and for those who they match in GEDmatch, but don't often get any useful results as we have so few decent matches on GEDmatch to begin with, mostly under 20cM.

i think thats what Crawfie means, too.