PDA

View Full Version : Re-registration of birth Q

Merry
23-06-23, 08:36
A unmarried woman has a child in the 1920s and registers the birth herself within the 6 week time frame allowed. Let's say her maiden name is Sarah Smith and the father of her child is John Jones.

At the registrar's she says she is married and that she and her husband are Sarah and John Smith (so she gives her partner her own maiden surname!). Then she is faced with being asked her maiden surname but she's already used that, so she brings up another name (don't know where from) and says her maiden name is, let say, Taylor.

This entry appears in the Ancestry/FMP/FreeBMD GRO index looking just like any normal birth reg for the child of a married couple.

On the gov GRO index however, this entry says Occasional Copy: A after it and there is no mmn at all (ie no Taylor and no dash either)

In 1990 the person researching buys a copy of this cert from the GRO. I have seen it and it is Smith/Taylor as described above. At the side of the entry there's a note from the registrar saying the entry is false and that a re-registration has taken place along with the date of the re-registration. This date is in the next Q to the original registration.

Inexplicably, the researcher didn't think it was a good idea to buy the other copy. He has spent since 1990 believing the fake maiden name on the cert in his possession to be the birth name of the mother of the child.

In the gov index the replacement cert (one Q after the original) looks exactly like an illegitimate registration with surname Smith and mmn - (dash). I'm imagining on this cert there will be no mention of the father and the mother will be shown as a single woman with her correct maiden surname. Obviously I'm going to be suggesting this cert is purchased, but I have two questions:

1) Do you think the above makes sense as a scenario?

2) Shouldn't the new cert have replaced the old one? Should the application for a cert in 1990 have caused only the illegitimate entry to be posted out? Has the GRO 'system' failed, or is it normal for the uncorrected entry to be issued?

Oh, that's a lot more than two questions!!

Phoenix
23-06-23, 10:16
Yes, and yes.

Do you think that the reason that it failed was that the re-registration followed so hard upon the heels of the original registration? The chances are that the information for the first quarter had not been collated, let alone printed, so the correction would have been placed in a lonely heap and forgotten about.

Had it happened later, say when the child started school, then the correction could have been added to the printed index.

Olde Crone
23-06-23, 10:21
Yes and yes!

Scenario seems fine. GRO failed to suppress the false certificate. (Does it still show on the new GRO site?).

OC

Merry
23-06-23, 10:47
Thanks Phoenix, that sounds v sensible!

OC, Yes, on the Gov version of the GRO index the entry is in the mmm but instead of a dash to represent an illegitimate birth there is literally nothing in the spot where the mmm is usually recorded. However, it does say occasional copy A which would make me think the person who produced the copy in 1990 should have had a heads up. Maybe because there wasn’t a searchable computerised index back then they didn’t know where to look, but they did have the date of the correction so perhaps just someone who didn’t know what they were doing!?

So we agree that this version of the cert should not have ever been issued after the correction date, if everything had been done by the book?

EDiT of course this very has some info on the father that wouldn’t have been on the new version so there are some pluses!

Olde Crone
23-06-23, 11:35
I vaguely remember a search many years ago after a false certificate was issued. I forget the details but in a nutshell the mother had fraudulently registered several births in order to claim benefits. The certificates had been legally suppressed but the original still showed on one of the many indexes and was wrongly issued.

Phew, what a long tale to agree that official mistakes are made!

OC

Phoenix
23-06-23, 12:59
This makes me feel extremely lucky that my grandparents' marriage reached the GRO at all. They married in April, but are entered as afterthoughts on the GRO index page.

JBee
23-06-23, 13:33
My grandfather's birth in 1901 his father's name is correct but his mother's name is her married name to someone else. They didn't marry.

Had us flumoxed for a long time looking for the mother birth etc. Still not absolutely sure about her.

Olde Crone
23-06-23, 14:00
I think it's just genuine confusion sometimes. Many people wouldn't have had a clue why certain information was needed. Several of my (admittedly dim) ancestors gave their mother's maiden name instead of their own and I wondered if the registrar said "mother's maiden name?" instead of " what is your maiden name? " (Or even "mother's maiden name?" to a father registering the birth! ).

I have one instance where a woman gives the name of her own father as the father of her child, which made me sweat till I realised her own father had been safely dead for years!

OC

Phoenix
23-06-23, 14:48
Lol, OC! Just like Best Mate's great aunt. I assume, charitably, that she panicked and provided her own surname before she thought things through, as she then named one of her brothers as the father :eek:

HarrysMum
23-06-23, 21:08
My great grandfather’s birth cert has ‘Jos’ as father, where his father was actually James.