PDA

View Full Version : Missing registers

Phoenix
22-05-23, 11:50
Hunting through the Hampshire records on Ancestry, there are heaps of my people missing from the record.

Looking at Bursledon, for example, there is a gap 1717-1792. According to the Hampshire Archives website, the records are continuous 1657-1992: https://calm.hants.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=83130&pos=9

I used to be surrounded with books. These days I google for answers. Does anyone know if records exist for the gap?

ElizabethHerts
22-05-23, 12:09
The registers for Bramshaw are also in a dire state and it's only by browsing that I have been able to find entries. Record keeping seems to have been very hit and miss with just one burial for 1754. I know my ancestor died in that year as he wrote his will in July and it was proved in December, but there is no entry for him.

kiterunner
22-05-23, 12:09
The Bursledon burials for that period are indexed on FMP but the baptisms only from the last few years of that gap, and the only pre-1754 marriages which come up on FMP are marriage licences.

Phoenix
22-05-23, 14:49
More by luck than judgement, I have found my NIPR volume for Hampshire, which does not indicate major gaps in Bursledon.

But I agree,Elizabeth, that record keeping was pretty poor.

The simple answer in this case, is that the records (abysmal quality) are under Hound and Hamble.