PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper announcement please.

Olde Crone
06-05-23, 20:05
Edit - found it. She did indeed marry someone else.

think I heard a branch falling off my tree just now, lol.

Please would someone be kind enough to look at a Times engagement announcement dated 2nd August 1951, between Waddilove and Bell. As far as I can see, the marriage didn't go ahead and he married someone else in 1954.

TIA

OC

Phoenix
07-05-23, 11:06
Mr. G. C. Waddilove marry The engagement Is announced between Mr. Geoffrey Cyril Waddllove, younger son of Lieut.-Col Erne6t Waddllove and the late Mrs. Dorothy Waddilove. of Wharfedale Lodge, Ilkley. and Miss Josephine Lesley Bell.

Note she is only a Holden by her mother's remarriage. The Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer has pictures of them both. I'm no typist, but have downloaded the page if you'd like it.

Olde Crone
07-05-23, 12:32
Thanks Phoenix but I found it and her actual marriage teo years later to someone else.
What are the odds - a brother and sister with a very common surname marry a sister and brother with a relatively unusual surname. Except....they don't! The two with the relatively unusual surname are not related in anyway. Another bear trap for me, the unwary.

OC

Merry
07-05-23, 13:29
Phoenix, do you access The Times from somewhere others can get it? My local library used to have it, but they gave it up a few years ago. :o

Phoenix
07-05-23, 18:03
I was using FMP, Merry. The disconcerting thing about the Times was the number of different issues in a day. I've been unable to find stuff because different repositories held different editions.

Merry
07-05-23, 18:20
Where is that then? I just looked in their Newspaper Publication List but could only see The Times of India!

Phoenix
07-05-23, 19:10
https://www.gale.com/intl/c/the-times-digital-archive

I assume that because this was around before the British Library started putting other newspapers online Gale have refused to allow the Times to go on that platform.

Merry
07-05-23, 21:50
I'm very confused! You said you were using FMP!

Phoenix
07-05-23, 22:06
I was looking at the Yorkshire Post for the entry OC wanted.

Merry
07-05-23, 22:31
Oh lol!!

Olde Crone
07-05-23, 22:37
I certainly didn't find it in the Times either, I've deleted the information now, but it was a local-ish paper. The subsequent marriage in 1954 in London, I found in the North Wales Weekly News!

OC