PDA

View Full Version : is there a way

benrymnd
28-03-23, 19:32
I have an ancestor on my wife's side ie her grandfather, the following information was told to her by her mother. her grandfather once owned marshes funeral service he later lost control of said service and it was taken over by his brother Fred I am trying to find out how and when he lost it, but I believe it was between 1930 and 1940, is there a way to look for information between those dates.

Merry
28-03-23, 21:39
You haven't given much information, but if this business was in the UK you could try the Gazette: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/ or if you have access to any newspaper sites you could look for articles regarding bankruptcy or someone removing themselves from a partnership, if that's what happened.

Merry
28-03-23, 22:02
I noticed you have other threads that mention your wife and Marsh ancestors in St Helens. I see there's a Frederick William Marsh (b 24 May 1886), funeral director, in St Helen's for the 1939 Register. Is he the brother by any chance?

Merry
28-03-23, 22:14
Oh, also on the 1939 Register, there's George E Marsh, undertaker assistant. He's also in St Helens and was born 8 Jan 1883.

MARSH, FREDERICK WILLIAM mmn BROWN
GRO Reference: 1886 J Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 740

MARSH, GEORGE ERNEST mmn BROWN
GRO Reference: 1883 M Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 747

Brothers? Are these the people you are interested in?

Merry
29-03-23, 08:26
FMP Newspaper Archive (in brackets is my addition):

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 03 December 1930

BANKRUPTCY ACT, 1914

The following notifications appeared in the "London Gazette" last night:

RECEIVING ORDERS AND ADJUDICATIONS.

(list, including)

George Ernest Marsh, 17, Liverpool Road, St. Helens, Lancs., undertaker.

Merry
29-03-23, 08:45
If F.W. Marsh Funeral Services is the same company still in business in St Helens, their website states they were established in 1907.

Merry
29-03-23, 09:28
In 1911 George Ernest's occupation was recorded as a 'miner day wageman' (an employee). In 1921 a bricklayer (employed by Sir Robert MacAlpine and Sons Contractors).

In 1911 Frederick William was a French polisher (an employee). In 1921 a cabinet maker's upholsterer and French polisher (an employer and working out of Barrow St, St Helens).

I've tried searching for 'undertaker' and 'funeral' as occs for St Helens residents in 1911 and 1921 but none are called Marsh. Could be another close relation with a different surname, perhaps, or maybe the business was with another of the Marsh family but in a different town?

EDIT: I just found this from googling:

F.W. Marsh Funeral Services is a private family funeral director based in St Helens since 1907. The business was set up by Fred William Marsh from Alderhey Road, St Helens. His son Eric joined the team and was survived by his wife Elsie who still works within the business to this day. Following Eric’s death, Eric’s daughter Susan ran the business along side Elsie until Susan’s son Ian took over as Managing Director.

Fred was living in Alderhey (Alder Hey?) Road (No. 8) in 1939, but in 1921 he was at 21, Rodney Street, St Helens and in 1911 at 153, Gladstone St, St Helens.

I've not been able to find Alderhey (Alder Hey) Road in records prior to the 1930s.

benrymnd
31-03-23, 18:57
Thanks Merry for all your information I don't know how George Ernest Marsh came to own Marshes funeral service in St Helens but my mother-in-law used lay out for him,Fred is indeed Georges brother and took over the business (again hearsay from my mother-in-law)but George supposedly went bust. Marshes funeral service is still in operation to this day and is run by Freds descendants .As for not finding Alderhay Rd this is possibly because the properties in Alderhay Rd are corporation houses built after 1930.

benrymnd
31-03-23, 19:02
Marshes funeral service posted in the local paper quite a few years ago for anyone with information about Marshes funeral service from the past to get in touch with them.

Merry
31-03-23, 19:19
George supposedly went bust

Yes, in 1930. See earlier post (#5).

the properties in Alderhay Rd are corporation houses built after 1930.

That makes sense. The historical info posted by the current company would appear to be incorrect.