PDA

View Full Version : Down the rabbit hole once Moore

Phoenix
11-02-23, 11:47
An event popped up in my Ancestry hints.

It had started with the marriage of a daughter of a Charles Moore (name of interest) marrying in Dorset (county of interest) so I followed the unspooling thread. I've been back to Faversham, up to Notts, and across to Lancashire, following the family even after Charles's death.

Charles was a railway engineer, so the family seemed to have moved as often as they ate. He has absolutely NOTHING to do with my Moores, but I've cheerfully spent an hour following his fortunes. Why???!!

Olde Crone
11-02-23, 13:10
Ha! I tried to follow an Ancestry "event" yesterday but was blocked by the pay wall. No matter - I only wanted to get hold of the woman who is NOT mine and finally remove her from my hints.

I often follow unrelated people just because I can and emerge blinking and wondering why I did, so you are not alone.

OC

HarrysMum
15-02-23, 04:34
An event popped up in my Ancestry hints.

It had started with the marriage of a daughter of a Charles Moore (name of interest) marrying in Dorset (county of interest) so I followed the unspooling thread. I've been back to Faversham, up to Notts, and across to Lancashire, following the family even after Charles's death.

Charles was a railway engineer, so the family seemed to have moved as often as they ate. He has absolutely NOTHING to do with my Moores, but I've cheerfully spent an hour following his fortunes. Why???!!

Where are your Moores from? Mine are from N. Ireland.

Phoenix
15-02-23, 12:45
Now, don't get side tracked,Libby!

I wouldn't like to say whence my Moores came. By the mid 1700s, they are in Poole, Dorset, but it looks very much as if they spent most of their time at sea, trading with the eastern tip of Canada. Where they originated, goodness knows. Moore is such an uncommon name.

kiterunner
15-02-23, 14:40
I thought it was a very common name?

Margaret in Burton
15-02-23, 15:45
I thought it was a very common name?

Me too. I have Moore in my tree a few times and in separate branches

JBee
15-02-23, 17:00
Why is it you think the name is uncommon until you start researching it and then find it isn’t.

Phoenix
15-02-23, 17:34
When the doctor looked at the x-ray and told me I'd broken my arm, I said Oh, Goody!

He didn't quite appreciate the irony.

kiterunner
15-02-23, 18:18
Oh, you were being sarcastic, sorry.

Kit
21-02-23, 23:40
Oh, you were being sarcastic, sorry.

I got it Phoenix. :d:d

I have 2 separate, so far, lines of Clarke/Clark in my tree. OH has Jones but I'm a bit scared to even consider researching it in the UK.

Merry
22-02-23, 10:44
OH has Jones but I'm a bit scared to even consider researching it in the UK.

My line that I've got furthest back in the UK is Smith!!