PDA

View Full Version : Both Sides DNA

HarrysMum
08-02-23, 18:45
I have three people who share ‘both sides’ DNA.

Two are very small amount with me 53cM and 27cM.

The third is 112cM and she is the daughter of my second cousin. Her mother is only related to me through my mother, so I presume her daughter is also related to me through her father. I have gone through her well researched large tree and cannot find any connection.

Any ideas where to look elsewhere?

Phoenix
08-02-23, 20:43
Sib's child has one match both sides:

Shared DNA: 8 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 8 cM
Longest segment: 8 cM

Go figure.

HarrysMum
08-02-23, 21:02
Why would the both sides match be not showing up on the other person’s results?

It is D, she is definitely related to my mother’s side. On her results, she has no both side matches.

D shares 112cM with me.

Phoenix
08-02-23, 21:40
I'm not well versed in the subject, but the reason there is so much diversity across the planet is in part due to mutation of genes between generations. Is it possible that a mutation creates a false match?

kiterunner
08-02-23, 21:42
The sideview function is still in beta testing and it quite often comes up with "both sides" for fairly close relatives who are only related on one side as far as anyone knows. Seems to be a glitch.

HarrysMum
08-02-23, 22:54
Okay…….as she doesn’t have both sides with me on her results.

KiwiChris
09-02-23, 01:44
I have 3 people that they say are on my mothers side, but they all have the same shared matches which are on my fathers side, I am just ignoring them for now! They are all pretty distant

Mary from Italy
09-02-23, 16:24
The sideview function is still in beta testing and it quite often comes up with "both sides" for fairly close relatives who are only related on one side as far as anyone knows. Seems to be a glitch.

Ah, that's useful to know, thanks. I don't have any both sides matches yet, but I'll bear it in mind.

crawfie
10-02-23, 21:22
Before Ancestry started assigning maternal/paternal matches, they assigned one ethnicity group to my mother, which could only have been from my father. With the following update, it was correctly assigned to my father. So for that time someone only on my father's side could have been seen by them to also have maternal links. Maybe the same is happening to you.

marquette
12-02-23, 20:59
My Daughters have a DNA match which is labelled both sides - and it is indeed true.

On my husbands side, his tree clearly showed the path - from Somerset, to Melbourne and Queensland - AD is my husbands fifth cousin and from Scotland via NZ to Australia, AD is my third cousin on my mothers side.

HarrysMum
22-07-23, 19:57
Still none the wiser with D who is the closest of my shared matches. The other two are very distant so I’m ignoring them for the present.

One of my other three shared matched has a common ancestor on my mother’s side which is way back, not sure how she is related to my father.

Lynn the Forest Fan
23-07-23, 07:00
My son is showing as being related to me on both sides and I have no idea how that can be true as I have found no crossover in the areas that my ancestors and those of my husband came from.

ElizabethHerts
23-07-23, 07:59
My son is showing as being related to me on both sides and I have no idea how that can be true as I have found no crossover in the areas that my ancestors and those of my husband came from.

Lynn, if he matches you "on both sides", doesn't that mean your father's side and your mother's side.

His DNA match with his father won't show on your results.

My DNA match with my daughter is on both sides, i.e. she has DNA from both my parents.

Lynn the Forest Fan
24-07-23, 06:32
Lynn, if he matches you "on both sides", doesn't that mean your father's side and your mother's side.

His DNA match with his father won't show on your results.

My DNA match with my daughter is on both sides, i.e. she has DNA from both my parents.
Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks

Kit
31-07-23, 10:11
The smaller the match, the more distant the relationship. So it can be harder to work out where the smaller ones fit in. Phoenix at 8cms that could be an error.

There is also IBD vs IBS ie identical by descent vs identical by state. The first is obvious but the second one is just co-incidence. The smaller the match, the more likely it is IBS.

Libby I think the best way to work out your issue is to look at the dna through a chromosome browser, which ancestry does not have, to see where and how big the other side actually is.

HarrysMum
31-07-23, 17:13
The smaller the match, the more distant the relationship. So it can be harder to work out where the smaller ones fit in. Phoenix at 8cms that could be an error.

There is also IBD vs IBS ie identical by descent vs identical by state. The first is obvious but the second one is just co-incidence. The smaller the match, the more likely it is IBS.

Libby I think the best way to work out your issue is to look at the dna through a chromosome browser, which ancestry does not have, to see where and how big the other side actually is.

How do I do that please?

Kit
01-08-23, 10:01
If you have tested on ancestry you can't, unless you upload the raw dna to a different site like FTDna or myheritage. You would have to pay a small amount to use either of those sites.