PDA

View Full Version : Orcheston St Mary, Wiltshire

Phoenix
27-12-22, 17:28
Looking for marriage for John Horne to an Ann in Wiltshire, at some time between January 1738/9 (when John's first wife died) and 1742 when their eldest known daughter was born, I find

Name: John Horn
Marriage Date: 28 Jun 1739
Parish: Orcheston St Mary
Spouse: Ann Miller

Investigating further, this is on FamilySearch, and comes from the Bishop's Transcripts

Ancestry has a gap in parish records between 1736 and 1795, and no bishops' transcripts for the 1700s.

Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre helpfully say:

"The following is a summary list of parish registers held by the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives with outside dates of christenings, marriages, and burials. Gaps have not been indicated within these covering dates. Only a few parishes have gaps large enough to suggest that registers have actually been lost; shorter gaps are probably due more to improperly kept records. Many parishes have little or nothing for the years 1640-1660. Registers later than those deposited will still be in the custody of the incumbents."

They do not list the holding properly in their catalogue.

A gap of fifty years suggests a missing register. Does anyone know? If I had access to an image I might find extra information to prove I had the correct marriage.

ElizabethHerts
27-12-22, 17:50
FMP

First name(s) John
Last name Horn
Role Groom
Marriage year 1739
Marriage date 28 Jun 1739
Place Orcheston St Mary
Spouse's first name(s) Ann
Spouse's last name Miller
County Wiltshire
Country England
Record set Wiltshire Marriages Index 1538-1933
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Marriages
Collections from England, Great Britain

Had you asked this question before, Phoenix? I ask because I had already viewed this.

kiterunner
27-12-22, 18:36
FamilySearch's catalogue says they have a gap between 1736 and 1755 for PR marriages.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/346225?availability=Family%20History%20Library

You can view their images of the PR's or BT's at a FamilySearch centre or a FamilySearch affiliate library.

kiterunner
27-12-22, 18:40
You could try to find out whether Orcheston St Mary has an OPC, but it looks as though you have to register and log in to be able to do anything on the Wiltshire OPC site unless I am missing something, so I will leave that to you.

Phoenix
27-12-22, 18:47
Had you asked this question before, Phoenix? I ask because I had already viewed this.

Entirely possibly. Best Mate worries she is losing her marbles for things I forget on a daily basis.

kiterunner
27-12-22, 19:16
Here is the previous thread about it:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29668&highlight=orcheston

Phoenix
28-12-22, 08:06
I feel like a hamster, going round on its wheel. Sorry, guys, for repeating myself!
However, I have spotted that Family search showed no baptisms of children to John and Ann before 1742, which does strengthen the case for them being the same couple.

The Wiltshire OPC looks as if it's on its last legs - I got Page Not Found for Orcheston St Mary.

ElizabethHerts
28-12-22, 08:50
I feel like a hamster, going round on its wheel. Sorry, guys, for repeating myself!
However, I have spotted that Family search showed no baptisms of children to John and Ann before 1742, which does strengthen the case for them being the same couple.

The Wiltshire OPC looks as if it's on its last legs - I got Page Not Found for Orcheston St Mary.

I contacted Wiltshire OPC about a year ago and got no reply.

Phoenix
28-12-22, 09:05
Thanks, Elizabeth. It sounds from their home page as if the original volunteers are aging, and they are failing to find replacements.... true, alas, of so many voluntary organisations.

ElizabethHerts
28-12-22, 09:31
Cornwall OPC is thriving but most of us are all long in the tooth, so it will be interesting to see what happens.