PDA

View Full Version : What is the medical condition of Edward Holland?

Kit
07-12-22, 23:13
Edward Holland is OH's 2g grandfather and he apparently went missing for many years. He turned up at some point, after his wife had remarried, but left again when he was not wanted.

By accident it was discovered he died in Queensland. No idea why he was there but I have found a hospital register showing he had a stay in 1895. However I can not read the medical condition.

Can anyone decipher it for me? Also what is the word on the right? It is a Remark.

KiwiChris
08-12-22, 01:37
I think it says Orchitis *whispers* which probably means VD

Or to be kind, maybe he had mumps

Kit
08-12-22, 03:37
Thank you.

I thought those were the letters but didn't know the term so thought I was misreading it. Bronchitis just didn't fit no matter how I looked at it.

I don't know whether to be kind or not. He abandoned his family for long enough his wife presumed he had died. Then he came back and if he gave any explanation it has not been passed down. It's a mystery, which I don't like, and if he was my ancestor I'd be very cranky with him for his actions. (I can be very judgmental sometimes, even though I try not to be).

Janet
08-12-22, 06:08
Toni, I have some direct knowledge of epididymo-orchitis (don't ask; and no, women don't get it, only men do). It's a really nasty infection of the testicle where it swells up to the size of a grapefruit with a bright red-orange color. The man I knew who had it was placed on a refrigerated mattress 24/7 for days and nights on end to bring his temperature down or it would very quickly have killed him. He survived but he suffered terribly.

Poor man. I think you can allow yourself to feel very sorry for him.

Olde Crone
08-12-22, 08:10
The remark on the right is convalescent, I think.

OC