PDA

View Full Version : German Records on Ancestry

Kit
06-12-22, 04:54
I've discovered ancestry has German records that related to my MIL's family.
They seem quite detailed but I can't read, write or speak German. Is there anyone here who has German family that can tell me if the transcriptions are accurate?

I can see the dates and names and know they relate to the family but the Germans seem very verbose.

ElizabethHerts
06-12-22, 08:14
I've discovered ancestry has German records that related to my MIL's family.
They seem quite detailed but I can't read, write or speak German. Is there anyone here who has German family that can tell me if the transcriptions are accurate?

I can see the dates and names and know they relate to the family but the Germans seem very verbose.

Kit, I could possibly help you. However, old German handwriting can sometimes be nigh impossible to read, so it depends on each individual entry!

If you post the links I'll take a look later on.

kiterunner
06-12-22, 08:34
I can have a look too but I can't promise anything.

Kit
06-12-22, 08:37
Thanks Elizabeth.

The father's name is Christoph Schafer and the mother is Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina Hofmann. Her long name comes in handy. To me it looks like they mention the marriage date of the parents and somewhere, maybe not below, they mention the mother's birth day. I'm just getting random entries off my tree. Here are 3 entries for you to pick from.

Elisabetha (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1568007:61131)

Catharina (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=61131&h=1899928&indiv=try)

Maria (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=61117&h=268400&indiv=try)

ElizabethHerts
06-12-22, 08:39
Thanks Elizabeth.

The father's name is Christoph Schafer and the mother is Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina Hofmann. Her long name comes in handy. To me it looks like they mention the marriage date of the parents and somewhere, maybe not below, they mention the mother's birth day. I'm just getting random entries off my tree. Here are 3 entries for you to pick from.

Elisabetha (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1568007:61131)

Catharina (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=61131&h=1899928&indiv=try)

Maria (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=61117&h=268400&indiv=try)

Slight glitch. I should have thought - I don't have Worldwide Ancestry so I can't see them. Could you email them, Toni?

ElizabethHerts
06-12-22, 08:43
My FMP subscription is worldwide.

For Elisabeth:
Marriage index 7 Oct 1844
Father: Johann Ernst Friedrich Hofmann
Mother: Susanna Maria Elisabetha Ritsch

Spouse: Schafer
Frankfurt-am-Main

kiterunner
06-12-22, 09:08
Sorry, this is going to take a long time so I will have to come back to it later. This is as far as I have got so far with your first link:

Month April 1838
Birth records Frankfurt a M
No 380
Wednesday 18th April 1838
Hofmann, ??? Schäfer, ???
the unmarried Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina Hofmann, born here 15 May 1815

kiterunner
06-12-22, 09:09
Oh, I should mention that Ancestry has a good message board for help translating German records though you sometimes have to wait a while for a reply:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/localities.ceeurope.germany.german%20translation

Kit
06-12-22, 10:25
I can have a look too but I can't promise anything.

I missed this before, thanks.

Kit
06-12-22, 10:27
Slight glitch. I should have thought - I don't have Worldwide Ancestry so I can't see them. Could you email them, Toni?

I can. Could you PM me your email address? I mostly wont be online again until midday, my time tomorrow.

Sorry I forgot I had a worldwide sub. I made sure I was in .co.uk when they came up. My bad.

Kit
06-12-22, 10:28
Oh, I should mention that Ancestry has a good message board for help translating German records though you sometimes have to wait a while for a reply:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/localities.ceeurope.germany.german%20translation

Thank you!!

kiterunner
06-12-22, 14:37
I don't think I can translate all the words but it says that she had a baby and then on Thursday 19th April 1838 the baby was baptised and named Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina. The bit in the margin says that Christoph Schäfer married the mother in Oct 1844 and I think it is saying that the marriage legitimised the child's birth.

kiterunner
06-12-22, 14:46
The second link is the death record of Catharina Magdalena Schäfer born 24 May 1846, died 16 May 1849 as it says on the transcription. Parents' names Christoph Schäfer and his wife Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina nee Hofmann, legitimate daughter. Age 2 years 11 months 22 days. I think it says the father is a burger (i.e. resident of the town) and assistant surgeon.

kiterunner
06-12-22, 14:57
Third link - 1853 December No 1282 Schäfer, Maria Amalia
(says died 24 Feb 1854 in the margin)
legitimate daughter and 7th child of the ??? resident and ??? doctor Christoph Schäfer and his wife Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina nee Hofmann married 7 Oct 1844
Birth Sunday 10 Dec 1853 8 o'clock in the evening, registered(?) 23 Dec 1853 Frankfurt a/M.

There are lots of bits of all the entries which I have not deciphered. But it is the same with the ones in my own tree.

kiterunner
06-12-22, 15:24
Okay, looking back at the first link I think Christoph is an assistant "Wundarzt" which Google translate says is surgeon.

Kit
07-12-22, 01:41
Thank you Kite.

I have to say I did not expect Christoph to be a surgeon.

I'll have to investigate his time in Australia more to see if he changed careers once here.

It's interesting that being married legitimises the births and useful, I guess, as half the children seem to have been born prior to marriage.

ElizabethHerts
07-12-22, 08:12
I've received your email, Toni, and will look at the documents when I get back from Keep Fit!

Kit
07-12-22, 23:03
I've received your email, Toni, and will look at the documents when I get back from Keep Fit!

Thank you

ElizabethHerts
08-12-22, 08:49
This is what I have so far. There were a few things I couldn't make out.

Maria Amalia Schäfer

704. 1853.
December.

No. 1282
Schäfer, Maria Amalia
Gestorben
24 February

eheliche? Tochter und 7 Kind des sässigen? Bürgers und
Assitenz=Wundarzts Christoph Schäfer und des=
sen Ehefrau Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina,
Geboren Hofmann, (getraut den 7. Oct. 1844.)
wurde geboren d-? Lit. C. Nr 171 in der
-önig-? Sonntag 10ten December 1853
Abends um 8 Uhr.
Grundlage des Eintrags: Erklärung des -?s und
Zeugniß des Entbindungsarzts Dr med. Sindlar?
Eingetragen Frankfurt am Main 23 December 1853
Zur L-ung?
Sad-tor?

704. 1853
December

No. 1282
Schäfer, Maria Amalia
Died
24th February

Legitimate daughter and 7th child of the resident citizen
and assistant surgeon Christop Schäfer and his
wife Elisabetha Wilhelmina Catharina,
née Hofmann (married 7th October 1844)
was born -? Lit. C. No. 171 in the
-? On Sunday 10th December 1853
at 8 o’clock in the evening.
Basis for the entry: Declaration of the -? And
Certificate from the doctor attending delivery Dr med. Sindlar?
Registered Frankfurt am Main 23rd December 1853
-?
Sad-tor?

ElizabethHerts
08-12-22, 18:09
Catharina Magdalena Schäfer

No. 510

Schäfer

Zu Frankfurt am Main L: H. N 177 -?
in der Da-sgasse?
starb am sechzehnten März eintausend
achthundert neun und vierzig (: 16 Marz
1849: ) Nachts 2 Uhr, nach? Impfeinigung des
Herrn Doctoris med. -er?
Catharina Magdalena
des säsigen? Bürgers und Assitenz=Chir-
urgen, Herrn Christoph Schäfer und
dessen Ehefrau, Elisabetha Wilhelmina
Catharina geborenen Hofmann, eheliche?
Tochter,
Geboren 24 März 1846 N. 271
Eta 2 Jahren 11 Monaten 22 Tagen.

No. 510

Schäfer

At Frankfurt am Main L: H. N 177 -?
in the Da-sgasse?
Died on the sixteenth of March one thousand
eight hundred and forty-nine (16th March
1849) At two o’clock at night after vaccination agreement? (agreed vaccination?) of/by
Doctor med. -er?
Catharina Magdalena
(daughter) of Mr. Christoph Schäfer and
his wife, Elisabetha Wilhelmina
Catharina née Hoffmann, legitimate
Daughter,
Born 24th March 1846 No. 271
Age 2 years 11 months 22 days.

I don't think the month was May. It was March in both cases. Note the umlaut over the a and also the z at the end of the word.

Kit
25-01-23, 11:38
Eliza, thank you for this. I looked at one point and your posts didn't show up, which is strange.

I greatly appreciate the effort. x