PDA

View Full Version : Is Ancestry due an update?

Phoenix
03-12-22, 21:40
My common communities are suddenly showing Devon and Cornwall - for ALL the DNA I manage - including the Jewish one!!

maggie_4_7
04-12-22, 12:16
Well my common communities are:

Paternal:
Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland
South West Scotland
Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers
St. Louis, Missouri & Western U.S. Settlers

Maternal:
Early Connecticut & New York Settlers
South East England
East of England
The Midlands, England

I have no idea what it really means, just that the DNAmatches on those sides live there now perhaps!

Phoenix
05-12-22, 11:43
It's some sort of glitch, pinning the same common communities - not even mine - to all the trees I manage. When I logged in this morning, I briefly had the "correct" common communities, then the screen froze, and I had rubbish.

maggie_4_7
05-12-22, 12:18
Well my common communities are:

Paternal:
South West Scotland
Delaware Valley, Chesapeake & Midwest Settlers
St. Louis, Missouri & Western U.S. Settlers

Maternal:
Early Connecticut & New York Settlers
South East England
East of England
The Midlands, England

I have no idea what it really means, just that the DNAmatches on those sides live there now perhaps!

Actually scrap the bit about living there now, I have a lot of DNA connections in North America but I have just as many in Australia and NZ if not more.

maggie_4_7
05-12-22, 12:18
It's some sort of glitch, pinning the same common communities - not even mine - to all the trees I manage. When I logged in this morning, I briefly had the "correct" common communities, then the screen froze, and I had rubbish.

Bearing in mind if it works correctly I still don't understand the relevance.

Phoenix
05-12-22, 12:43
With our current understanding, I think it is merely a novelty. What worries me more is what other glitches there may be that I don't know about, so make assumptions based on false data.

ElizabethHerts
05-12-22, 17:10
My common communities have undergone a substantial change since yesterday.

Previously I was getting communities in the USA and New Zealand, for example. Today a huge change:

Paternal: North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
Yorkshire & East Midlands, England

Correct!

Maternal: Devon & Cornwall, England
Alabama Settlers
Early Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas Settlers
Southern Appalachia Settlers

The last three are rather suspect! However, the is the first time there has been acknowledgement of my Cornish heritage and of my distant Devon heritage.

Phoenix
06-12-22, 12:11
Hoping Ancestry will sort itself out. It currently won't allow me on the by parent page, even though I can go to all matches, and then sort by parent 1 or 2.

ElizabethHerts
06-12-22, 12:21
Hoping Ancestry will sort itself out. It currently won't allow me on the by parent page, even though I can go to all matches, and then sort by parent 1 or 2.

Same for me, Phoenix.

Phoenix
06-12-22, 12:28
Thanks, Elizabeth!

maggie_4_7
06-12-22, 12:43

Same for me, Phoenix.

Whenever that has happened to me it's an update to my DNA matches by parent but mine is okay today.

Phoenix
06-12-22, 14:36
Whenever that has happened to me it's an update to my DNA matches by parent but mine is okay today.

Does that mean that you have new "by parent" matches, Maggie?

maggie_4_7
06-12-22, 16:44
Does that mean that you have new "by parent" matches, Maggie?

Yes they assigned more to each parent, not many but I suppose that's the result of the update more went onto unassigned.

ElizabethHerts
06-12-22, 21:22
Mine's back but a retrograde step. The sensible common communities have disappeared and I'm back to the rubbish ones now.

Phoenix
07-12-22, 07:46
Mine is back to normal, but so far I only seem to have ONE new person assigned, across 5 lots of DNA, with my cousin's DNA remaining extremely problematic, the vast majority of it being currently unassigned.

maggie_4_7
07-12-22, 08:47
Mine is back to normal, but so far I only seem to have ONE new person assigned, across 5 lots of DNA, with my cousin's DNA remaining extremely problematic, the vast majority of it being currently unassigned.

Well I suppose that's the only one they could match DNA to a parent. I think, without looking, I only have 3 more assigned than I did when it first appeared but about 80 new matches unassigned but they are very low matches.

ElizabethHerts
07-12-22, 15:53
I think the column that was previously Thrulines has changed its heading to "By ancestor".

maggie_4_7
07-12-22, 18:21
Mine is still Thrulines.