PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

JBee
02-02-10, 11:38
I've been searching for a John McLaren a soldier in the 71st Regiment of Foot (Highland Fusiliers).

He joined the Regiment in January 1840 and died in January 1859 - still with the Regiment so no service docs retained.

Now you would think that as he was born in Scotland and died in Scotland I would have more info than England but not true.

In 1841 census he was either in Ireland or on route to Canada, In 1851 Census was in Ireland unless census was after August which I don't think it was. He married at the Lamberton Toll in August 1847 which gave minimum info and muddied the water as I don't know if Comrie is supposed to be Comrie in Scotland or Company misspelt as was his surname.

No. 1967. Lamberton Toll. Aug 8 1847.
John McLernen of 71 Comrie to Barbra Hope of Berwick.
Wit. William Wright, Isabellea Dixon

The death on 17 January 1859 as given on the Regiment's pay records says he died whilst on furlough at Crieff in Perthshire. However haven't been able to find any record of it on Scotlandspeople, GRO Scotland, Crieff Register Office, Perth Register Office, GRO Index England. Can only assume everyone thought everyone else would register it.

One breakthrough last week in Muster lists at National Archives was that it said he was 17.3 when he enlisted in January 1840. On several muster lists it said labourer Crieff on far right of page for no apparent reason which is where he enlisted.

However McLaren in Crieff, Comrie and Perthshire is just like looking for a Smith with plenty of John McLarens. If only I could find the death in Scotland as it would hopefully show who his parents were.

I don't know if I should take his age on enlistment as accurate either.

Merry
02-02-10, 11:42
Does the Scottish GRO have separate army records like the England/Wales GRO does?

Merry
02-02-10, 11:47
I wonder if this is a relative?

WO 97/834/127 DANIEL MCLAREN Born COMREA, Perthshire Served in 71st Foot Regiment Discharged aged 31 1807-1819

JBee
02-02-10, 11:47
I contacted GRO Scotland direct and they did a search so I presume they looked if they had one.

I think the Army records are for those that are serving abroad - I might be wrong though.

JBee
02-02-10, 11:52
Thanks Merry

I did see that but I have no way of telling - could be his father, uncle, cousin or no relation at all. Think he was too old to be a brother though.

There was another John McLaren serving with the Regiment at the same time but he was a Smith from Glasgow

kiterunner
02-02-10, 11:56
What were the names of John and Barbara's children? And do you know the names of Barbara's parents? Maybe we can figure out likely names for John's parents that way and then look for wills etc.

JBee
02-02-10, 12:09
They had 2 girls I know of and possibly a third Ann Jane who died aged 2.

Margaret Ann b 1849 also McClaren in 1861 census
Ann Jane b 1853 d 1855 (not certain if theirs)
Jane b c1856 (birth reg no found) - d 1903 Edinburgh

Barbara Hope's parents were John and Margaret

I've looked on the 1841 census for Crieff and there's no Ann old enough to be his mother. Two Margarets age 60 and 65.

kiterunner
02-02-10, 12:13
Oh bother, well so much for that idea then.

JBee
02-02-10, 12:21
I know they're a pain this lot.

Can't even find a marriage or death of Barbara's parents

or Barbara in the 1861 census

- daughter Margaret is in the workhouse
(was then placed with employer from where she absconded twice!!)
Daughter Jane 3 has been left with a family and no sign of Barbara.

Barbara re-marries in Dec 1861 in Edinburgh when the Regiment returns from Indian Mutiny and she marries another soldier of the 71st.