PDA

View Full Version : Greenwich Hospital School

HarrysMum
16-11-22, 10:17
I have just found a record entry in the National Archives. It says my gg grandfather’s brother, William Henry Morgan Huband, was admitted to this place in 1835. His father was a royal marine who died in 1833.
Was it an actual hospital? Was there an entrance requirement?
I had never heard of it, and Google seems to know not much either.

Olde Crone
16-11-22, 10:37
It's better known as the Royal Hospital School. Fair amount of info if you Google that. It was a school for the sons of mariners at a time when general education wasn't free. I

OC

HarrysMum
16-11-22, 10:39
Thanks OC. I’ll see what I can find.

Phoenix
17-11-22, 21:09
The entry records are brilliant. You get addresses,relationships all sorts of things.
The bright boy in my family went there and then became a schoolmaster.

HarrysMum
20-11-22, 06:08
I have found two records for brothers. I’m not sure if they are the full records or just the index. One has who his parents were and the dates. Is there a lot more info?

Phoenix
20-11-22, 07:21
The catalogue is taken from huge ledgers the Victorians were so fond of. I can't remeber all the columns, but you have name, address, usually a bit of bio on the father to explain why the child has been admitted.

HarrysMum
21-11-22, 04:38
Thanks. I’ll see if I can access the ones I want.

SBDFHS
03-12-22, 09:14
I run a Greenwich and District Family History group on Facebook and there is a photo of two orphaned brothers in school uniform. It was usual for orphans of sailors to join the school. A member says they were known as Dukey Boys. We also have photos of the boys and their 'dry' training ship, Fame and I have access to school masters photos. Also lots of photos of Greenwich.

Merry
03-12-22, 09:20
I run a Greenwich and District Family History group on Facebook.

Is it this one?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/526528328850343

HarrysMum
03-12-22, 18:21
I run a Greenwich and District Family History group on Facebook and there is a photo of two orphaned brothers in school uniform. It was usual for orphans of sailors to join the school. A member says they were known as Dukey Boys. We also have photos of the boys and their 'dry' training ship, Fame and I have access to school masters photos. Also lots of photos of Greenwich.

Thank you. I think I found it and applied to join. Only found one question to answer so hope that is correct.