PDA

View Full Version : fostering records Croydon

Qwackers
02-11-22, 14:32
I am looking to find some foster records from the mission of Hope in Croydon . If anyone can give me any pointers on how to request documents etc without going to Croydon . Thanks Chrissie

kiterunner
02-11-22, 14:53
Here is the link (at the end of this post) to the entry in the Museum of Croydon catalogue and it includes the following info:

Accession date: 14/1/1991

Access conditions: Files closed for 100 years, except to individuals and their close family...

Some of the records in our collections contain sensitive and personal data that we have a legal responsibility to control access to. In these circumstances, staff may search the collection on your behalf, having received consent or proof of death of the individual concerned.

Please contact us at [email protected] for further information regarding the particular collection you wish to access.

https://museumofcroydoncollections.com/catalogues/index.php/mission-of-hope-files

Phoenix
02-11-22, 18:40
Please note that Croydon is operating under severe financial constraints, opening hours for the archives are greatly reduced, and the previous archivist retired a few weeks ago. You may be lucky and get a swift answer, but be prepared for a wait.

If the records are still listed, then hopefully this means they weren't bundled up and sent to Iron Mountain. Those records are effectively lost to Croydon researchers, as nobody thought to make a note of what was in each bundle.

Qwackers
03-11-22, 04:08
hi thanks all for your pointers I will contact the relevant people , but to be truthful I don’t think I will be able to find out a lot of info , but will give it a go even if I have to wait . It’s for my grandchildren , they would like to find answers to a lot of questions about their father . Thanks once again .

Qwackers
03-11-22, 11:40
Hi , like ou say they have a backlog of messages to work through ,so it may be a while before my email is answered .

JBee
03-11-22, 14:22
A friend of mine worked in Child Services and when the case was finished the files were just dumped in a store room in no particular place and they got attacked by vermin.

So hopefully that's not the case at Croydon

Phoenix
04-11-22, 07:39
Provided the records arrived in a good state, they should be fine. Croydon has been starved of funds for archives for decades, and only ever managed to catalogue a small proportion of its collections, so I imagine that anything unfit for production or in need of conservation would not even appear in the catalogue.

Qwackers
09-11-22, 06:17
hi have had a reply from the archives , i have to sign a form for permission , but hopefully may get a bit of info thanks for your help . will keep informed .