PDA

View Full Version : heligoland /Wismar Germany ...what do people think ?

garstonite
01-02-10, 15:09
Hiya...this is not a "MUST " situation but very frustrating for me personally...in 2008 on FTF and Roots I posted about my GG grandfather...
I am told by my family that my gg grandfather Carl Freidrich Satch b 1848 in Heligoland was a British Subject and Heligoland was British owned and then sold to Germany.......he came to Garston Liverpool as a sailor and met Mary Ellen Jones and they married in 1877 ..they had 2 daughters
Sophia and Adelaide

so I have Carl Freidrich Sacht b 1848...(working out by 1881 census in Garston)

THIS IS WHERE I WANT PEOPLES OPINION
1871 census at Grimsby docks on a ship called "FURTUNA"
Johann Carl Daniel SCHACHT Wismar Germany
Carl Freidrich SCHACHT Wismar Germany....

could somebody have a look at this census and tell me whether this could be the same Carl Freidrich SACHT /SCHACHT ...???
allan :confused:

Merry
01-02-10, 15:23
Hi Allan, what did Carl Freidrich put for his father's details on his marriage cert?

Mary from Italy
01-02-10, 15:43
Heligoland's a very long way from Wismar. Do you have any other evidence that he came from there, apart from family lore?

garstonite
01-02-10, 15:47
Able bodied seaman Merry......I`m convinced it`s the same dad / son but the Heligoland and Wismar pob`s don`t match....would he have put Heligoland because he didn`t want to be known as a German and possibly that`s why SCHACHT became SACHT....or am I being totally romantic in hoping the "FURTUNA" Schachts are Carl and his dad....realistically I shouldn`t I know because on his marriage cert it`s SACHT , Heligoland......allan:o

Merry
01-02-10, 15:51
It says Heligoland for Carl's birthplace in 1901.

That's what I was thinking about them being a long way apart!

Merry
01-02-10, 15:52
Able bodied seaman Merry

And his dad's name on the cert??!

garstonite
01-02-10, 16:20
Johann.....NO Carl and NO Daniel ...just Johann.....thanks.....allan

Mary from Italy
01-02-10, 17:51
I wouldn't have thought it was a disadvantage to be a German citizen in England in those days. Naturalisation wasn't compulsory, as far as I know.

kiterunner
01-02-10, 22:30
Having looked around on the various censuses etc, it doesn't seem to be that uncommon a name, so it could well be a different person.

garstonite
02-02-10, 06:54
Thank you all....I was probably clutching at straws....so I`ll put the 1871 census on Furtuna to one side just in case.....So if anyone sees the name Sacht anywhere , give me a shout....lol...cheers...allan:)