PDA

View Full Version : John Bishop Allen - but which one?

Anstey Nomad
11-10-22, 12:27
Who would have thought there would be so many of them?

This is where I started:

http://www.in-touch.ukvet.net/129/129dru.htm

A sad tale. I can see from Ancestry that this one was buried at Thurmaston on 18 October 1827. He may be the John Bishop Allen who was baptised at Thurmaston on 5 December 1788 and apparently again on 2 February 1790, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth.

So far so good.

Then there is another John Bishop Allen, born c 1799, who appears on the 1871 Census at 81 Bedford Street Leicester, a widowed bricklayer. He appears at various other addresses in the area from the directories.

Then there is yet another John Bishop Allen, born on 30 June 1836 and baptised at St Nicholas Leicester on 26 June 1837, apparently the son of my great great grandfather Samuel [Purver or Perver] Allen and his wife Hannah [Bishop] Hawkes, who were married at Thurmaston in 1830. He seems to have married in Leicester in 1860 and died there in 1906. He was another bricklayer, as indeed was Samuel.

Interestingly, in 1901, this JBA was living in Bow Bridge Street. Bow Bridge itself used to bear a plaque which read 'Near this spot lie the remains of Richard III, the last of the Plantagenets, 1485' and one of the Allen family, according to family story, found his skull when they were building nearby, distinguishable by a double row of molars. Then along came Philippa Langley ...

There is one more John Bishop Allen who died in Norfolk in 1965.

Why are there so many John Bishop Allens and how many of them are mine?

Hobbs, bring me an ice pack!

Merry
11-10-22, 12:45
Why are there so many John Bishop Allens and how many of them are mine?

I would imagine because both Allen and Bishop are fairly common surnames, along with John beinga common forename!

I eliminated some people from my tree in my tree where it was the other way about - several children surname Bishop and middle name Allen (their mmn) - the middle name helped me determine they belonged to a different Bishop couple with the same forenames as mine.