PDA

View Full Version : 1921 census now included in an FMP subscription!

kiterunner
11-10-22, 10:25
New Premium subscription. You can upgrade to it if you have an existing sub, or take out a new one. I have to go out now but will give more details later if someone else hasn't already by then.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census?fbclid=IwAR1RGuliNfYkzgie16BfllIQU204xzlUr2 igxVrXCRlhpm9th_308_-iLpU

kiterunner
11-10-22, 11:48
Okay, the Premium sub costs £199.99 per year. Although you may see the price shown as £16.67 per month, this is misleading because you have to pay for a year up front and there is no monthly option for this subscription (as far as I can see. In any case, the 1921 census is only included in a 12-month Premium sub).

A 12-month Pro sub (the next level down from the new Premium) costs £179.99 for a year, i.e. £20 less than a Premium sub. FMP's upgrade FAQ's include the following information: For upgrades to our Premium subscription, a minimum price of £19.99 is in place if the remaining pro-rated value of your previous subscription falls below this price.

I don't know how much you would have to pay to upgrade early on in your annual Pro subscription. I have seen someone on Facebook complain that they were being asked to pay £50 to upgrade but I don't know whether this is correct. But I would have thought that the "pro-rated" difference between Pro and Premium would always be £20 or less?

kiterunner
11-10-22, 14:56
Just seen this on Facebook, on the Findmypast Forum group:

UPDATE FROM FINDMYPAST - We're aware some 12-month Pro members may be seeing a higher upgrade price to Premium than they should be - the upgrade should be £19.99/$23.99 USD/€23.99/$34.99 AUD depending on which Findmypast territory you're on.
We are working to fix this now, thank you for your patience.

Kit
13-10-22, 02:58
Just seen this on Facebook, on the Findmypast Forum group:

UPDATE FROM FINDMYPAST - We're aware some 12-month Pro members may be seeing a higher upgrade price to Premium than they should be - the upgrade should be £19.99/$23.99 USD/€23.99/$34.99 AUD depending on which Findmypast territory you're on.
We are working to fix this now, thank you for your patience.

Thanks for this. I just got an email now saying $45 to upgrade. I'm tempted to upgrade for the rest of the year (my sub renewed about 2 months ago) so I have plenty of time to search and then go back to my UK sub. I'll wait until they sort out the pricing.

KiwiChris
13-10-22, 18:41
I already had the world subscription, which is expires at the end of January, and when I went to upgrade to include the 1921 it just kept saying that I already had the Premium sub. When I checked it still wanted me to pay to look at census details.
I contacted them and they have just come back to say that they have upgraded me to include the 1921 and I have not paid any extra. I note that they have done something behind the scenes as there are 3 new invoices raised yesterday, but the end result seems to be nil. Now let's see if it works!!

I could be away a while, I have around 1100 clergy and their families to check.........:d:d:d:d;)

KiwiChris
17-10-22, 01:02
I am finding rather a lot of mistranscriptions in the 1921 census. Is there some way of reporting them to get them corrected like there is on Ancestry?

Merry
17-10-22, 07:21
According to FMP there's a triangle symbol (report image error) to click, next to the 'download record' button. However, I don't have this when I look at any image!

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/360002794117-how-do-i-report-a-record-error-on-findmypast-

Durham Lady
17-10-22, 07:27
I upgraded and as my sub runs out in February, it cost me just over £20. I have also gone back in and cancelled automatic payment as I don't think I'll need the Premium after February.
Occasionally Lost Cousins give a code for a discount with FMP so I may wait to see what comes out from them. I'll probably keep my WW Ancestry sub using the half price code once my sub to them runs out. I never use the auto renew on any site.

Margaret in Burton
17-10-22, 08:23
I am finding rather a lot of mistranscriptions in the 1921 census. Is there some way of reporting them to get them corrected like there is on Ancestry?

Go on the transcription page and click on the person who has the error. Above the names there is a tab called more actions. Click on that and it says report an error. I’ve done this quite a few times and my version has always been excepted. They send an email when they’ve looked at it.

Margaret in Burton
17-10-22, 08:25
I upgraded and as my sub runs out in February, it cost me just over £20. I have also gone back in and cancelled automatic payment as I don't think I'll need the Premium after February.
Occasionally Lost Cousins give a code for a discount with FMP so I may wait to see what comes out from them. I'll probably keep my WW Ancestry sub using the half price code once my sub to them runs out. I never use the auto renew on any site.

I got charged just over £25 when it should be £19.99. I contacted them and they refunded the difference

ElizabethHerts
17-10-22, 08:36
My subscription comes up for renewal in 10 days' time. I have already viewed the 1921 Census for my close family so I don't think I shall bother upgrading. I've just cancelled auto-renew and will wait to see if any offers come up. I have been slightly miffed during the past few months when I see offers for less than I have paid when they told us that loyal customers would be rewarded.

Merry
17-10-22, 08:51
Go on the transcription page and click on the person who has the error. Above the names there is a tab called more actions. Click on that and it says report an error. I’ve done this quite a few times and my version has always been excepted. They send an email when they’ve looked at it.

Ooh, thanks Marg. I should have guessed someone here would know and that FMP's help page (link in post #7) wouldn't be helpful!

Margaret in Burton
17-10-22, 09:29
Ooh, thanks Marg. I should have guessed someone here would know and that FMP's help page (link in post #7) wouldn't be helpful!

I found it more by luck than judgement. When we had to pay per image we didn’t bother with the transcription because it would have cost extra. You need to be on the transcription page to do it.

KiwiChris
17-10-22, 18:32
Thanks Marg, I have just submitted my first correction

I spent some time looking for George Thomas Barker, to finally find him as Berker!

I might go back eventually and submit corrections for the ones I have already found, but I am sure there will be more as I work through the directory, so they will hear from me again!

Kit
22-10-22, 09:20

There are definitely a heap of errors which is unusual and disappointing for FMP. My email is just a list of correction emails now.

On the plus side I have already made my money back on the extra cost compared to the price of each image.

I'm saddened by the 1921 census as I have several families where Dad just took off, abandoning the family.

I also have a mystery child. My 2g grandparents have a daughter who should have been on the 1911 census, but was not and does not fit into the number born alive figures. I don't think she can be the child of a child either due to the ages of the other children. I've put her on the back burner for now.

Merry
22-10-22, 11:43
I'm saddened by the 1921 census as I have several families where Dad just took off, abandoning the family.

I wonder how much that was the impact of WW1?

KiwiChris
22-10-22, 19:54
There are definitely a heap of errors which is unusual and disappointing for FMP. My email is just a list of correction emails now.

FMP will be getting sick of me, I have reported 35 errors already, 12 yesterday alone! It is taking me ages to find some people using all the tricks I can think of! There are some who have to be there somewhere but I cannot find them.

There is one where it clearly says his name is Dudley, yet it is transcribed as Simon! How can that happen??

Merry
22-10-22, 20:03
There is one where it clearly says his name is Dudley, yet it is transcribed as Simon! How can that happen??

Is it just him or does everyone in the household have the wrong forename? This can happen when the different columns - all transcribed separately because the transcribers were not allowed to see the whole page before the 100 years of closure were up - are not realigned correctly.

I've said this many times, but when the 1939 Register was released (transcribed in a similar fashion) my grandfather and the rest of his household all had the names of people several pages away and there was a total of 16 pages of names that were all out of place. That's just one set I found and it took FMP around 5 years to correct it!

KiwiChris
22-10-22, 21:18
No, from memory he was living alone!

Merry
22-10-22, 21:21
No, from memory he was living alone!

So, what about the households either side?

KiwiChris
23-10-22, 01:21
So, what about the households either side?

I have just gone back and looked, he was not the only one in the house, there were 4, but none were Simon, nor was there a Simon in 2 images on either side! Transcriber brain-f**t! (the site does not like the word ****!):d:d:d

Merry
23-10-22, 07:22
Were the others in the household transcribed correctly?

KiwiChris
23-10-22, 18:44
Were the others in the household transcribed correctly?

Yes, they are all more or less fine, or at least as good as the handwriting, they are all boarders or servants so I am not 100% sure what the names are, but I am sure that Dudley looks nothing like Simon!

https://search.findmypast.com/record?id=GBC%2F1921%2FRG15%2F01724%2F0315&parentid=GBC%2F1921%2FRG15%2F01724%2F0315%2F01

I am surprised by the number of servants people had living in, in 1921. Maybe it was just in big drafty vicarages, but most would have at least one.

ElizabethHerts
24-10-22, 14:02
People still had live-in servants. My grandparents and mother are in Portsmouth and they have a 17-year-old general domestic servant living with them. He was an officer in the RN but not wealthy.

My great-great-grandmother had a live-in servant and my great-grandmother was visiting friends (retired chemist) who also had a live-in servant.

kiterunner
06-01-23, 16:36
I have just taken out a Premium sub which includes the 1921 census, and now when I search, it doesn't show me the names of the other people in the household if I hover the cursor over the transcript / image icons - I have to actually click through to view to find out who else is in the household. Is that the same for everyone who has that sub, or am I doing something wrong? It seems to me it would be much quicker to move the cursor down the list looking at the names before deciding what to click on.

Mary from Italy
06-01-23, 16:43
Same here, I'm afraid. I agree it'd be more convenient if the mouseover would show the names.

kiterunner
06-01-23, 16:53
Thanks, Mary.