PDA

View Full Version : Jewish DNA

Phoenix
01-10-22, 13:08
I handle the DNA for my late boss's daughter. She has over 1000 closer DNA matches.

Have just found someone I think is a third cousin once removed, who shares 16cM with her. Is it likely that a (relatively) close Jewish relation sould have so little DNA in common?

If nothing else, this has shown up some of the more interesting transliterations of Cwitbojm. My favourite is Tweedburn!

kiterunner
01-10-22, 13:36
Ancestry filters out the common Jewish DNA segments. What does it say for "unweighted" shared DNA? My Dad has a 3rd cousin once removed, related on the Jewish line, with whom he shares 25 cM, 67 cM unweighted, for instance.

Phoenix
01-10-22, 14:02
14cM unweighted, but there are three segments, and I cannot imagine the other two are a mere 1cM long.

Phoenix
01-10-22, 14:58
Aargh. Try again. Longest segment 14cM, unweighted 32cM. Spot on for 3rd cousin once removed for non jewish.

maggie_4_7
01-10-22, 15:19
Ancestry filters out the common Jewish DNA segments. What does it say for "unweighted" shared DNA? My Dad has a 3rd cousin once removed, related on the Jewish line, with whom he shares 25 cM, 67 cM unweighted, for instance.

Aargh. Try again. Longest segment 14cM, unweighted 32cM. Spot on for 3rd cousin once removed for non jewish.

What does Unweighted mean in regards to the amount of DNA?

For instance:

Shared DNA: 56 cM across 2 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 63 cM
Longest segment: 39 cM

kiterunner
01-10-22, 15:27
Maggie, if you view a DNA match, then click on the amount of shared DNA for more info, then click on "How do we estimate DNA Relationships?" it should give an explanation.

HarrysMum
21-10-22, 21:38
Where would I find Jewish DNA? I thought maybe my husband might have some from way back, with Ariel being such a common Jewish name.
I’ve only put his on Ancestry so far.

kiterunner
21-10-22, 22:13
If you look at his ethnicity estimate, it will show whether he has any Jewish DNA or not.

HarrysMum
22-10-22, 12:53
If you look at his ethnicity estimate, it will show whether he has any Jewish DNA or not.

Thanks. None there. Wonder where the name originated.

Olde Crone
22-10-22, 13:29
Libby - a non parental event would make the Jewish DNA disappear but not necessarily the surname!

istr your Ariels were Lancashire based? I traced one branch of my Lancashire Holdens back to Jewish origins, from Italy via France and from the French revolution to exile in Lancashire, where they married into the Holdens and banished their Jewishness, at least officially.

OC

HarrysMum
23-10-22, 19:22
Libby - a non parental event would make the Jewish DNA disappear but not necessarily the surname!

istr your Ariels were Lancashire based? I traced one branch of my Lancashire Holdens back to Jewish origins, from Italy via France and from the French revolution to exile in Lancashire, where they married into the Holdens and banished their Jewishness, at least officially.

OC

I can’t get the Ariel’s back very far in the scheme of things. 1700s in Bristol and London, and both lots are traders. Spice, linen, dyes, etc. I am presuming the two men are brothers. Only presuming.
My husband direct line goes back to Yorkshire and the Lake District of Lancs ( at the time), but that was all through marriage of well known names for those areas.

I know there were Ariell families in Northern England and Wales but I can’t connect the different spellings into ours.
I once contacted all the Ariel families who I didn’t know, that were in our phone book. Every one who answered was Jewish! lol

Olde Crone
23-10-22, 21:37
Yes, sorry, should have said, these Holden s were in Yorkshire/Lake District area and were financiers, which I always thought was odd until I realised the Jewish connection.

OC