PDA

View Full Version : David McCre(a)ry - Any thoughts on what else I can do?

Merry
29-09-22, 11:55
Background:

David McCrery was born about 1764, most likely in Kempston, Bedfordshire, the son of Robert McCrery and Susannah Maynard who were married at St Paul's Bedford in 1759. His maternal family were non-conformist, but I don't know about his father's family. There is no baptism record for David or his siblings.

David's mother, Susanna, died in Kempston in 1818.

His father, Robert McCrery, was a career soldier in 14th Regiment of Foot. He died in Beaminster, Dorset in 1793. His will (signed 1793) leaves a share of his estate to his son David, stating:

....to pay the same unto my son David McCrery in case he shall then be in the Kingdom of Great Britain but in case my said son David McCrery shall at the time of my decease be abroad or out of the Kingdom then it is my will and I do hereby request and desire that my said trustees and the survivor of them his executors and administrators do and shall put and place out at interest

So, until recently the only further info I had on David was that he was most likely apprenticed to a cooper in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire in 1779.

I have now received a copy of docs for an administration for a David McCreary, a private in the 31st Regiment of Foot, dated 17 Apr 1795. At the time of his death he was 'of Plymouth in the County of Devon', so presumably stationed there. (No burial found though).

Again, I don't know that this is 'my' David, but I can't think of another reason that some of the people mentioned in the administration were 'of Bedford' and the court was that of the Archdeaconry of Bedford:

Know all men by these presents that we Martha McCreary of ???keel in the County of Down in the Kingdom of Ireland Widow and Samuel Cuer and John Whitfield of the town of Bedford and county thereof woolsorters are held and firmly bound unto the Worshipful Richard Shepherd Clerk D.D. Commissary and Official of the Archdeaconry of Bedford lawfully constituted...etc

So, this David was married and that probably happened in Ireland.

I can't find a burial for him in Plymouth and I can't find a marriage for him in Ireland (though I don't know much about Irish research pre civil registration).

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to find out more about him or his wife and children (if he had any)?

kiterunner
29-09-22, 14:47
Could ???keel be Kilkeel?

Merry
29-09-22, 15:00
That was the only place I could see with the keel ending, but it looks like Shirkeel.

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:11
Unfortunately there is not much Irish stuff available for that era other than about very rich / titled people.

Merry
29-09-22, 15:21
lol Yeh!

Here's the placename:

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:28
It looks like Thirkeel to me but there doesn't seem to be a place of that name. Nearest I could find was Tirkelly.

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:35
I think there are some Northern Irish Presbyterian records which aren't available online yet - maybe the family will turn up in those.

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:42
There is an apprenticeship record for a David McCrery dated 1779, apprenticed to Thos Roberts of Wellingborough (England!), a cooper, but it doesn't really help!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1851/images/40108_236921-00164?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=UMN26754&_phstart=successSource&pId=798171

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:55
Just had a look on Ancestry Ireland (not connected with Ancestry), aka Ulster Historical Foundation, and if you search for the surname McCreery, the birth and baptism results include Sarah McCreery 1786, father David, County Down. Also Elizabeth McCreery 1789. So you could pay to have a look at those, assuming they aren't on any other website where you wouldn't have to pay.

https://www.ancestryireland.com/search-irish-genealogy-databases/

Merry
29-09-22, 15:56
There is an apprenticeship record for a David McCrery dated 1779, apprenticed to Thos Roberts of Wellingborough (England!), a cooper, but it doesn't really help!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1851/images/40108_236921-00164?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=UMN26754&_phstart=successSource&pId=798171

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is him. Good for age and his maternal grandfather left him and his two brothers the funds for each to be apprenticed, so long as their mother didn't live with her husband! As it happened, Robert McCrery was constantly on the move with the army, so I don't think they lived as a family. I have found apprenticeship records for all three brothers that all work perfectly for date.

kiterunner
29-09-22, 15:57
Make sure you read the post #9 above your latest, Merry, in case you missed it.

Merry
29-09-22, 15:57
Just had a look on Ancestry Ireland (not connected with Ancestry), aka Ulster Historical Foundation, and if you search for the surname McCreery, the birth and baptism results include Sarah McCreery 1786, father David, County Down. Also Elizabeth McCreery 1789. So you could pay to have a look at those, assuming they aren't on any other website where you wouldn't have to pay.

https://www.ancestryireland.com/search-irish-genealogy-databases/

Oooh, thanks. I will look at that in the next day or two as I'm off out shortly!

Merry
30-09-22, 08:28
This is probably a stupid question, but would widow Martha have had to come to England to be involved in the administration of her late husband's estate in 1795?

maggie_4_7
30-09-22, 08:52
This is probably a stupid question, but would widow Martha have had to come to England to be involved in the administration of her late husband's estate in 1795?

I don't know the answer for then but my Nan had to appear in person in 1963 for her son's estate, no will.

Merry
30-09-22, 10:50
Interesting. Thank you Maggie.

Merry
02-10-22, 14:56
Well, I purchased 8 credits for the Ulster Historical Foundation. I don't think the info for the two daughters helps me a great deal, but I may find something more to help. Here's what the entries showed (both transcriptions)

Irish Birth/Baptism Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down, c. 1660-1930

Index info: SARAH MCCREERY 1786 DAVID Down

Parish/District Anahilt Presbyterian
Address 1 CABRAGH
Address 3 Banbridge
Date of Birth 17:04:1786
Father's First Name DAVID
Father's Surname MCCREERY
Comment 2

I don't really know why the last field is entitled Comment 2?

Here's the second one:

Irish Birth/Baptism Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down, c. 1660-1930

Index info: ELIZABETH MCCREERY 1789 DAVID Down

Parish/District Anahilt Presbyterian
Address 1 CABRAGH
Address 3 Banbridge
Date of Birth 03:04:1789
Father's First Name DAVID
Father's Surname MCCREERY
Comment 2

I googled for any association between 31st Regiment of Foot and Cabragh and/or Banbridge with no results. Ive not yet read much about the Anahilt Presbyterians.

Merry
03-10-22, 07:10
For some reason I'm not feeling those two girls are the daughters of my David. I see there is a burial record for a David McCreery in 1817 also in the southern part of Co Down, who could be the father of the above two if he was of the right sort of age. I could buy more credits to see if he could be eliminated, but have visions of eventually spending a lot to find out very little or nothing! If I could find anything for a Martha that might encourage me more.

Is the reason the administration was dealt with by the court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford because David's estate was in that county?

kiterunner
03-10-22, 07:46
According to Norfolk Archives, "A will was generally proved in the lowest court which had jurisdiction over the whole of the area in which the testator held property." I assume the same would apply for an administration.

Merry
03-10-22, 08:25
Yes, that's similar to what I read. It's only the use of the Bedfordshire court that makes me think this must be my David.

The value of his estate was said to be under £300. Estate values often seem high for the date and status of the individual. Did they round up for some reason?

kiterunner
03-10-22, 08:48
Yes, that's similar to what I read. It's only the use of the Bedfordshire court that makes me think this must be my David.

The value of his estate was said to be under £300. Estate values often seem high for the date and status of the individual. Did they round up for some reason?

Wikipedia's entry on the "History of inheritance taxes in the United Kingdom" says that at that time, probate duty was charged at a graduated rate, so I guess they mean divided into bands of values and maybe one band was under £300 and another started at £300.

Merry
03-10-22, 09:34
That's what I imagined, but the amounts always seem high. I have an administration for an ag lab uncle of this David McCrery who also died in the 1790s. His estate was valued at under £600. Really??! Even if the band about £300 was £301-£600 I would still be surprised an ag lab would be worth £301.