PDA

View Full Version : Google Books

kiterunner
01-02-10, 07:33
If this had been around when I started doing my tree, it would have saved me so much time!

Google Books page (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CyQyAAAAIAAJ&dq=%22Walter%20Horner%20Brown%22&pg=PA703#v=onepage&q=%22Walter%20Horner%20Brown%22&f=false)

But I suppose it would have been much less fun...

Kit
01-02-10, 08:30
lol Kate. At least you now have some more proof you were right.

ElizabethHerts
01-02-10, 08:33
Wow, Kiterunner, no wonder you are pleased!

You are right - If Googlebooks had been around earlier many of us would have been spared hours of futile research. Do you remember my incredulity at this find a year ago, which solved the mystery of OH's 2xgreat-grandfather's death - he simply disappeared off the radar and his wife was mentioned as a widow in a relative's will, but no burial in Whitby:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QR2gAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA198&dq=%22Charles+Lamb%22+and+%22Whitby%22+and+%22chol era%22&cd=2#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20Lamb%22%20and%20%22Whitby%22%20and% 20%22cholera%22&f=false

kiterunner
01-02-10, 08:57
No, I don't remember that one, Elizabeth. What a find! Though maybe too much information in some places!

garstonite
01-02-10, 08:59
I just put in for Stella " private Richard Wright" ...and it`s in there as it went to Parliament about his Death Sentence....allan

ElizabethHerts
01-02-10, 09:09
No, I don't remember that one, Elizabeth. What a find! Though maybe too much information in some places!

Sorry, I forgot - I should have warned you. :o It's amazing to hear what he was saying. I think these were some of the first cases of cholera as it came in at the ports.

He was only 36 and left a young family, and OH's great-grandfather was in the Workhouse at Whitby in 1841 whilst mum was trying to earn a living.

Langley Vale Sue
01-02-10, 17:41
I've just put in "George Tivers" and got 2 results :) He was my GGGG grandfather.
One of them (which says he was 'Master of a Respectable Academy') I've already got from another source, but the second one from 1806 tells me that he was 'of Lymington Academy'. Woo Hoo :D Now I have a name to look for :)

He was also only about 36 (but I haven't been able to find his birth record) when he died, leaving a 2 year old son and a pregnant wife.

anne fraser
01-02-10, 20:34
Thanks for the link. I just found this one: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9FXVoGcVJygC&pg=PA384&dq=George+Frederick+Blacker&cd=3#v=onepage&q=George%20Frederick%20Blacker&f=false Along with all the instructions on how to use leeches I have a date for one of mine getting his medical degree. I have never used the site before.

ElizabethHerts
01-02-10, 21:27
Anne, those Medical Gazettes are amazing, aren't they! I'm glad you found some information.

Just Gillian
01-02-10, 22:49
Thanks for the mention of Google Books Kite.

Whenever I am reminded to go back there for another round of searches, I always manage to find something new.

On this occasion, one snippet shown was the description of a photo which includes my grandfather's cousin who worked at the British Museum. The book is available for 76p + postage on Amazon Marketplace.

Apart from a photo of my grandfather and his sister, taken at my parents' wedding in the 1940s, I have not seen photos of any other members of his family so I'm delighted!

Jenoco
02-02-10, 03:24
And a thank you from me too! Reading a "snippet" from an Australian Historical Society volume led me to a Kite relative who'd been transported and ended up as a leading citizen of Bathurst, NSW. I found him because he'd named his property after his Wiltshire village.