PDA

View Full Version : William Aspinall

Qwackers
24-09-22, 07:38
Hi William Aspinall was born in 1920 in Orrell near Wigan , I know is mother was a Whalley , but I’m trying to find her first name . And her marriage to a Aspinall . Prior. To that in Wigan or around the area ? Any help please .?

ElizabethHerts
24-09-22, 08:40
You can find it easily yourself on FreeBMD.

Qwackers
24-09-22, 08:46
Hi thanks I was looking on ancestry ,and it came up with everywhere accept Wigan .thanks

Qwackers
24-09-22, 08:49
Hi am also looking for a John H peel who Married Elizabeth Whalley in 1920 in Wigan , I think she passed away in 1940 .I’m trying to establish another marriage for him after that time and if he had anymore children , I have done a search on bmd ,but there doesn’t seem to be any in the Wigan area ,any ideas ? Thanks

kiterunner
24-09-22, 09:19
The first thing to do is to look it up on Lancashire BMD to get his full middle name - Henry. They married at St Thomas, Upholland.

Then look for Peel / Whalley births - there are four in Wigan between 1921 and 1932 - and look them up on the 1939 Register. I found the first three but with aunts and uncles etc. I was hoping to find at least one with the parents to get the parents' dates of birth.

I can't find an Elizabeth Peel death in Wigan around the right time and I can't find John H Peel on the 1939 Register so I think you would need to get a copy of the John Peel / Elizabeth Whalley marriage certificate for more information about him before trying to trace him forward.

Qwackers
24-09-22, 09:43
Hi Kiterunner , thanks for that very imformative . X

Qwackers
24-09-22, 09:45
Hi kite , I was trying to also trace the birth of John H peel who married Elizabeth , Peel is a common name around upholland and Wigan . As I don’t know his age at his marriage ? Any ideas ? Thanks

Qwackers
24-09-22, 09:57
hi Kite I found the three as you did , and I do think that uncles or aunts brought them up I know Ethel may was with my great aunt Annie and uncle Ernest in upholland as she is on the census with them as is a William Aspinall. From another sisters Ellen marriage . in 1911 , so I do think their parents may have died ? I will check out the registers for 1939 . Around the area . Thanks

Merry
24-09-22, 10:23
I don't have time to transcribe this newspaper notice, and it shouldn't really be the right John Henry Peel because there were two more children registered after his death, but if Elizabeth hadn't remarried, but had more children, they could look like children of the marriage in the GRO index.

Ormskirk Advertiser 09 September 1926

It says John Henry Peel aged 36, platelayer of School Lane Upholland was knocked down and killed by an electric train. Says he was married and left a wife and two children which would fit at that date. Says his father was Henry Peel who died about 12 months previous and who worked at Winstanley Park.

EDIT.... later in the day!......

I looked at the 1921 census index.

John Amy Peel 1888 Up Holland, Lancashire, England Wigan Lancashire
Elizabeth Peel 1894 Up Holland, Lancashire, England Wigan Lancashire
Betsie Peel 1921 Up Holland, Lancashire, England Wigan Lancashire

Obviously John Amy probably should have been transcribed John Henry! I entered 'plate layer' in the occupation field and his entry still came up, so though his age isn't spot on, compared with the 1926 accident, it seems very likely to be the same man. Second EDIT - I entered the address as School Lane and their entries still came up in the results, so that fits everything together.

As, according to the 1921 census, he was born in Upholland, this is probably his birth reg:

Births Dec 1887
Peel John Henry Wigan 8c 145

So his age on the census was more accurate than the newspaper article. I was in a hurry earlier and didn't mention his death was at Walton Junction Station (Liverpool) so this is his death (age as in the article)

Deaths Sep 1926
Peel John H 36 Liverpool 8b 31

What is your source for Elizabeth dying in 1940?

Did you consider that Upholland was only in Wigan district until 1936 when it switched to Ince district. (you can easily find this info on FreeBMD, if you click the district name in the results and then, on the following page, click 'here' where it says "information about it can be found here")

Qwackers
24-09-22, 12:19
Hi Merry , you are spot on with the info of the train incident as the family’s lived in school lane upholland . And my mother did mention a relative been knocked down and killed but didn’t say his name but that fits So well done , I hadn’t realised regarding the change of area to ince . That’s interesting . You are a true oracle merry thanks x

Merry
24-09-22, 12:27
What is your source for Elizabeth dying in 1940?

Qwackers
24-09-22, 13:00
hi I looked on the lancs BMD I think Elizabeth died in 1937 age 41 in orrell the age is more accurate than the other death in Orrell earlier . I tried to find her on the 1939 reg , so concluded that was her death as her child Ethel was living with their aunt in upholland . Thanks for all the great info x

Qwackers
24-09-22, 13:07
hi sorry I should have said Ethel was on the 1939 census living with her aunt Annie .

Qwackers
24-09-22, 13:33
Hi ,I was looking for Betsy peel and found her with a family of the whalleys ,when she was 18 , then I saw a death For Betsy Ann peel she was 20 in 1941 , do you think that’s her , ince . What a shame if it is ! Thanks

Merry
24-09-22, 13:41
It may well be.

Qwackers
25-09-22, 07:20
Hi , I’ve got a puzzler Ethel peel born 1924 as mentioned earlier had some half siblings , but as yet haven’t been able to trace who they are are the mother . I thought John peel ,could have been married before he got married to Elizabeth Whalley in 1920 ? Bit looked for a marriage from about 1906 to 1919 , but couldn’t find one that would fit , and then looked at births for Peel around the Wigan area , there wasn’t that many . As it’s not to say the half siblings parents were married . If the John Henry was the person who was killed by the train which I believe is him .,wouldn’t have had children after 1926 . Have you any ideas ? Thanks

Merry
25-09-22, 07:48
Surely you already know who they are?

kiterunner said:

look for Peel / Whalley births - there are four in Wigan between 1921 and 1932

So, the first two were born before JH Peel died. The other two were born after, so they would be half siblings to the first two, as obviously they must have had a different father. Elizabeth never married the second man (or men).

Qwackers
25-09-22, 07:56
hi Merry ,yes I know who the children are who were born before John died . But I don’t know who the half siblings are and when they were born ? The granddaughter of Ethel peel doesn’t know who they are .? I can’t find any births to either Whalley are peel after 1936 ?

Qwackers
25-09-22, 07:58
Sorry merry your right I’ve had a bad night with stomach ache , I’m not looking for the correct dates , so sorry ,your always right lol

Merry
25-09-22, 08:01
1928 and 1932.

Qwackers
25-09-22, 08:24
I’ve got them , thanks merry x