PDA

View Full Version : who is his second "wife"?

KiwiChris
27-08-22, 06:30
The Rev Henry Walter Miller b c1843 Chelsea married Sarah Nancy Mapplebeck in 1868. He is with her and the children in 1881. He then went alone to Australia where he was appointed priest assistant at the cathedral church in Hobart 23 March 1886, and then inhibited by the Bishop of Hobart 28 March 1886. So he did not last there long!
On the 1901 census of Ireland he is a Roman Catholic professor of music with an Australian born wife Maud Dieudomiee (?Dieudonnee) and a couple more kids. He is now Henry Alan Walter Miller.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003877004/
The youngest child is born in Ireland and here is his birth record
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02084/1795082.pdf
This names his mother as Maude Dieudonnee Schleneka, if I am reading the handwriting correctly.
A family tree has a marriage 1890 Victoria Australia, but I cannot find that on Victoria BMD, and my guess is that they are not married as his first wife is still alive.
Both Henry (Alan) and Maud died in South Africa.
I have all I need to know about him, but I would like to identify Maud if at all possible. She is not appearing on Ancestry in Australia as Maud Schleneka, for either birth or marriage.

Janet
27-08-22, 08:17
The Rev Henry Walter Miller b c1843 Chelsea married Sarah Nancy Mapplebeck in 1868. He is with her and the children in 1881. He then went alone to Australia where he was appointed priest assistant at the cathedral church in Hobart 23 March 1886, and then inhibited by the Bishop of Hobart 28 March 1886. So he did not last there long!
On the 1901 census of Ireland he is a Roman Catholic professor of music with an Australian born wife Maud Dieudomiee (?Dieudonnee) and a couple more kids. He is now Henry Alan Walter Miller.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003877004/
The youngest child is born in Ireland and here is his birth record
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02084/1795082.pdf
This names his mother as Maude Dieudonnee Schleneka, if I am reading the handwriting correctly.
A family tree has a marriage 1890 Victoria Australia, but I cannot find that on Victoria BMD, and my guess is that they are not married as his first wife is still alive.
Both Henry (Alan) and Maud died in South Africa.
I have all I need to know about him, but I would like to identify Maud if at all possible. She is not appearing on Ancestry in Australia as Maud Schleneka, for either birth or marriage.

On the South African document, doesn't it look more like Schlencker, though, Chris? I don't know where that gets you, but at least the German spelling would make more sense. They have her as Maud Dieudonné Miller born Schlencker (if I, in turn, am reading this handwriting correctly!) and sorry, as I'm probably telling you what you already know.
Cape Province, South Africa, Civil Deaths, 1895-1972 for Maud Dieudonné Schlencker Miller
(https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/60149/images/004874266_01030?treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=YMk5&_phstart=successSource&pId=12338)

KiwiChris
27-08-22, 08:21
That's helpful thanks Janet, I don't have world Ancestry, just UK and Australia/NZ.

Janet
27-08-22, 08:25
Ah, you posted while I was correcting Maude to Maud and adding the link. I'll PM you, Chris.

KiwiChris
27-08-22, 08:55
Family Search has her South African death certificate, Maud Dieudonne Miller nee Schlencker born c 1865 Australia,

Ancestry only comes up with one Maud Schlencker born 1865 Balmain, but she is Susanna Maud.
Fibbing about her name is possible in this situation so I won't write her off just yet!

Merry
27-08-22, 09:27
Isn't Dieudonné(e) a French name? Maybe she adopted it when she was in France, before she moved to Ireland?

kiterunner
27-08-22, 09:39
I think the name on the Irish document also looks like Schlencker.

KiwiChris
27-08-22, 09:39
Isn't Dieudonné(e) a French name? Maybe she adopted it when she was in France, before she moved to Ireland?

My thought as well, it does not really go with the Germanic sounding surname!
Henry seems to have picked up the extra name of Alan around then as well, and seems to go by Alan, at the birth of his son in Ireland, and also at the time of his own death in South Africa.

I note from Trove that Susanna Maud appears to be S Maude in some newspaper reports of school exam results.

Mary from Italy
27-08-22, 21:20
Sorry if this complicates things, but I seem to remember that the French name Dieudonné(e) and the Italian equivalent Deodato/a (both meaning God-given) were often bestowed on foundlings (as a surname, I think).

HarrysMum
28-08-22, 03:16
NSW BDMs has her as Susannah M born 1865, daughter of William and Mary.

KiwiChris
28-08-22, 05:08
At the moment I am working on her being Susannah Maud the daughter of William and Mary.
Susannah just vanishes, I have not found a marriage or a death for her, but I have found marriages for some of the other family of William and Mary.
They did end up in Brisbane and William and Mary are buried there.
School news in Brisbane papers has Maud Schlencher, so Susannah may have gone by Maud.

The death of Henry Alan Walter Miller in South Africa says he married Maud in 1890 Melbourne, I cannot find that marriage, so I don't think it happened!

There is a church connection in the Schlenckers, one of the brothers of Susannah is a Congregational Minister, and worked for the Mission society in PNG.

HarrysMum
28-08-22, 06:51
Where in Brisbane, do you know? I can scout around for you.

My aunt was baptised Bernadette. She changed her name at school to Margaret Cecilia. Not even her parents knew. School was very different back then…..lol
She became a nun. lol