PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering first name in will

maggie_4_7
26-08-22, 14:00
John Kilvington will, the 23rd line down can anyone read the first name, the surname is Yarburgh.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5111/images/40611_310012-00790?pId=618680

Thank you.

kiterunner
26-08-22, 14:25
Henry.

maggie_4_7
26-08-22, 15:39
Henry.

Thank you that makes sense.

maggie_4_7
26-08-22, 17:38
Christ I hate wills this has to be one of the longest I have ever encountered and total gobbledygook.

Phoenix
26-08-22, 20:16
How can you say that? The lovely man went to Croydon!

maggie_4_7
27-08-22, 06:00
How can you say that? The lovely man went to Croydon!

I can't read most of it, I was interested in names to confirm I have the right Kilvington, he lived in Red Lion Square in St George the Martyr, he originally lived in Bell Yard near Grays Inn not sure why he was in Croydon. He doesn't leave anything to his daughters but his wife Ann does in 1828 when she dies.

Phoenix
27-08-22, 17:18
I can't read most of it, I was interested in names to confirm I have the right Kilvington, he lived in Red Lion Square in St George the Martyr, he originally lived in Bell Yard near Grays Inn not sure why he was in Croydon. He doesn't leave anything to his daughters but his wife Ann does in 1828 when she dies.

He does, he just doesn't name them. He's saying that a chunk of money should be shared equally between all his children when they reach their majority or marry, while the interest should be applied to their maintenance before then.

Mary from Italy
27-08-22, 21:11
The codicil changes that, though.

I haven't read it all, but it looks as though the testator's younger son Orfour William Kilvington gets nothing, because he's about to come into a large inheritance from somebody else.

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 06:05
He does, he just doesn't name them. He's saying that a chunk of money should be shared equally between all his children when they reach their majority or marry, while the interest should be applied to their maintenance before then.

The codicil changes that, though.

I haven't read it all, but it looks as though the testator's younger son Orfour William Kilvington gets nothing, because he's about to come into a large inheritance from somebody else.

I find wills very difficult to read and just can't do it. I can't read most of it. I did see the children mentioned and his sons Orfeur, Thomas and his wife and also his executors but it is a very long will and meanders for a long time. He also mentions a sister Dorothy, there is a name in there that has baffled me I think he refers to her as his daughter!! The name is ?? Suras!

Merry
28-08-22, 06:34
He also mentions a sister Dorothy, there is a name in there that has baffled me I think he refers to her as his daughter!! The name is ?? Suras!

I found the right will by looking for the line 23 ref (your links never work for me!) and then read through. I found the ref to sister Dorothy and imagined the other name would be after that, but I didn't see it. Can you give me a clue?!! Was it in the will or the codicil?

Phoenix
28-08-22, 06:58
The Orfeur and Kilvington families were related, but my brain can't work out how

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 07:01
The Orfeur and Kilvington families were related, but my brain can't work out how

I think the Yarburgh family were related too but I have no idea how, the daughter Ann Kilvington who married a Gold named one of her sons Henry Yarburgh Gold although I suppose it could just be a nod to Henry Yarburgh.

Merry
28-08-22, 07:05
I've read it again, looking for the word daughter or anything that looks like ?? Suras, but I'm still none the wiser :o

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 07:06
I found the right will by looking for the line 23 ref (your links never work for me!) and then read through. I found the ref to sister Dorothy and imagined the other name would be after that, but I didn't see it. Can you give me a clue?!! Was it in the will or the codicil?

Sorry its the .com link.

I will look. Although it could have been Ann's will.

Phoenix
28-08-22, 07:47
Looking for Anne's will, I found this:

Reference: zDDX661/1
Title: Decree in Chancery relating to inheritance of a freehold estate in North Duffield
Description:

Parties: 1) Jeremiah Barstow, esquire, wife Dorothy, Henry Medley Kilvington, esquire (plaintiffs) 2) Thomas Henry Kilvington, an infant, mother Anne Kilvington, widow, Henry Yarburgh, Richard Lowndes (defendents)
Date: 11 Aug 1800
Held by: East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies Service, not available at The National Archives

Phoenix
28-08-22, 08:12
Anne had three surviving daughters: Anne Gold, Henrietta Mary Llewellin and Charlotte Kilvington. And only one surviving son, Orfeur

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 08:24
I've read it again, looking for the word daughter or anything that looks like ?? Suras, but I'm still none the wiser :o

Sorry to lead you on a wild goose chase, I got myself totally confused, it was another will that I thought connected ;(;(

Merry
28-08-22, 08:25
lol Thought I was going mad!

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 08:27
Anne had three surviving daughters: Anne Gold, Henrietta Mary Llewellin and Charlotte Kilvington. And only one surviving son, Orfeur

Thomas Henry died at Cape Coast Castle, Gold Coast, West Africa in 1806 and Elizabeth Sophia and John must have died very young.

Orfuer became a Reverend and married Lord Napier's daughter The Honourable Maria Margaret Napier.

Edit to say: Henrietta married Daniel Llewellyn and had 6 children, Henrietta died in 1871 at 93, Charlotte never married and died in 1877 at 90, Ann married Charles Gold and had 5 children and died in 1840 at 66.

maggie_4_7
28-08-22, 08:30
lol Thought I was going mad!

Sorry ;(

Merry
28-08-22, 08:39
Sorry ;(

lol I've done the same a load of times too!!

kiterunner
28-08-22, 09:21
Could it be Lucas? Just imagining what might look like Suras.

Merry
28-08-22, 09:43
I looked twice at, "I may" which looked like Suray (no space between the two words) if you didn't have it in any context! .....then I realised that wasn't what I was looking for!! :o:o:o

maggie_4_7
29-08-22, 16:40
Looking for Anne's will, I found this:

Reference: zDDX661/1
Title: Decree in Chancery relating to inheritance of a freehold estate in North Duffield
Description:

Parties: 1) Jeremiah Barstow, esquire, wife Dorothy, Henry Medley Kilvington, esquire (plaintiffs) 2) Thomas Henry Kilvington, an infant, mother Anne Kilvington, widow, Henry Yarburgh, Richard Lowndes (defendents)
Date: 11 Aug 1800
Held by: East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies Service, not available at The National Archives

Interesting, thanks Phoenix

maggie_4_7
29-08-22, 16:56

John b 1747, Dorothy B 1751 and Henry Medley Kilvington b 1750 were the children of John Kilvington and Elizabeth Orfeur. Family from Yorkshire, Acomb and Wakefield.

Mary from Italy
29-08-22, 17:04
If you can, it's often worth getting wills from the local archives rather than the PCC ones, because the originals are mostly easier to read (PCC wills are contemporary copies in "secretary hand").

Phoenix
29-08-22, 17:14
If you can, it's often worth getting wills from the local archives rather than the PCC ones, because the originals are mostly easier to read (PCC wills are contemporary copies in "secretary hand").

I have never tested this, as I imagine it would be an impossibly lengthy process, but the originals of the PCC wills copied into the will registers are apparently held at the National Archives.

Mary from Italy
29-08-22, 17:17
I think it was you who told me that :)

I didn't realise it was so difficult, though.

I must say that most of the original wills I've got from local archives have been quite easy to read, except for the really old ones.