PDA

View Full Version : Northumberland Burial Records

Merry
22-08-22, 19:06
I don't know if this link will work:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&q.anyDate.from=1788&q.anyDate.to=1797&q.anyPlace=england&q.givenName=john%20ambrose&q.surname=williams

I'm interested in the first entry, the 'burial' 28 May 1854. J A Williams died in London on 28 May 1854 and was buried at St Giles in the Fields 02 Jun 1854.

So, I'm imagining he has a mention on a gravestone somewhere in Northumberland (as he wasn't buried there and the date recorded is his date of death), which might help me with finding out something more about him.

At the moment I have no baptism (prob about 1790-92) and no marriage (I don't know that he was ever married). There's also no will. In the 1820s he was the printer and possibly also editor of the Durham Chronicle. He got himself in a fix in a libel case in the 1820s which is all that I can find about him if I google or look in the papers.

All I want to know is who his parents were, or at least, who his father was, in order to see if he is connected to some other Williams' I'm working on, but I'm getting nowhere fast....

Merry
22-08-22, 19:14
Oh, I forgot to add - the address on his burial record - Acton St (Camden/St Pancras) is no help with finding him in 1851 for his place of birth.

kiterunner
22-08-22, 21:49
Strange that it says it is from parish registers rather than from monumental inscriptions, though.

kiterunner
22-08-22, 21:51
I assume you have looked at the death notices on the British Newspaper Archive and that they were no help?

kiterunner
22-08-22, 21:58
Hopefully this Google Books link will take you to a page which says that "He was a native of Bristol, but in early life became connected with a portion of the London Press..."

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of_the_Count/kDdNAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22john+ambrose+williams%22+%22durham+chronicle %22&pg=PA340&printsec=frontcover

Merry
22-08-22, 22:00
Not on that site. However, I looked at numerous death ntices via FMP, generally they were just copies of each other but none had any personal info except for mentioning the trial. Of course anything omitting his middle name makes him invisible amongst all the other John Williams'!!

Merry
22-08-22, 22:02
Hopefully this Google Books link will take you to a page which says that "He was a native of Bristol, but in early life became connected with a portion of the London Press..."

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of_the_Count/kDdNAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22john+ambrose+williams%22+%22durham+chronicle %22&pg=PA340&printsec=frontcover

Oooh, thanks. Hmmm, so, in theory from an area with a lot of published records!............

kiterunner
22-08-22, 22:12
Also there is this in TNA's catalogue from 1846 but I have no idea whether it is the same person:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7930415

Merry
22-08-22, 22:13
Oooh, another book mentions his dob as 02 Apr 1793 in Bristol!

Phoenix
23-08-22, 08:18
It would be interesting to know what he died of. It sounds likesuicide, or in extreme want.

Merry
23-08-22, 08:49
I'm beginning to think he was just a neighbour of the person I'm investigating who happened to have the same surname and so was invited to be a witness at my chap's wedding in 1813. They both seem to have lived around Grey's Inn Holborn at various times. I know who my chap is (parents, siblings, wives children etc) and I know JAW is not his brother though they were similar ages. If JAW was really from Bristol then he might be a cousin, but working out which Williams from Denbigh moved to Bristol might be too difficult to prove and I'm beginning to lose the will to live over him. I had thought he might be really easy t track down!

I can't find a JAW (or JW) on the 1851 census that looks promising when including born Glou*, Som* or Bristol etc.

Also there is this in TNA's catalogue from 1846

I had forgotten I'd seen that yesterday, so Thanks!

I don't know if it's him either. There's another JAW son of George and Sarah, b 1816 in Greenwich who died 1849 in the same area as 'my' JAW. I suppose it's likely these two JAWs are related, but there are just so many people called Williams everywhere I can't confirm anything.