PDA

View Full Version : Capital or no?

Kit
22-08-22, 01:45
Is it Newcastle Under Lyme or Newcastle under Lyme?

While there is a discussion (hopefully) going on should it be hypenated?
ie Newcastle-U/under-Lyme or not?

Every time I see something it seems to be different to the time before and I have no idea which is correct or is this some weird English thing to keep us Aussies in the dark?

maggie_4_7
22-08-22, 05:16
I write Newcastle-under-Lyme which I believe is the correct spelling, Newcastle and Lyme being names.

Kit
22-08-22, 08:10
I like that Maggie and it is what I prefer but occasionally Under is used and it confuses me. Same as the hyphens. Sometimes they are used and sometimes not.

Stoke on Trent and Stoke upon Trent I've worked out are 2 separate things.

Now I'm working on Yorkshire West Riding, Yorkshire (West Riding) and West Yorkshire.

kiterunner
22-08-22, 08:54
I don't know what you mean about Stoke on Trent and Stoke upon Trent being 2 separate things, Toni? They are both names for the same place.

Phoenix
22-08-22, 10:08
Now I'm working on Yorkshire West Riding, Yorkshire (West Riding) and West Yorkshire.
I'm not good at geography but West Yorkshire is a modern administrative area and not the same as the West Riding. There now appears to be a South Yorkshire, which didn't exist in the past.

scuda
23-08-22, 07:22
From http://www.thepotteries.org/location/stoke/stoke.html

"Notice that the town is correctly called Stoke-upon-Trent, as distinct from the city, which is Stoke-on-Trent. In practice, local people know the town of Stoke-upon-Trent by the simpler and shorter name of Stoke."

So, similar but different.

scuda

Merry
23-08-22, 08:19
scuda - that's interesting - I'd not realised that before.

All these places that include the name of the river they lie by, but are commonly shortened to just the first word, such as Stoke, Newcastle, Stratford etc - I want to know why Kingston upon Hull is called Hull and not Kingston?

vita
24-08-22, 13:49
I don't know what you mean about Stoke on Trent and Stoke upon Trent being 2 separate things, Toni? They are both names for the same place.

Would have agreed with you,Kite until I read Scuda's post. Well, you live & learn.

Kit
25-08-22, 03:32
From http://www.thepotteries.org/location/stoke/stoke.html

"Notice that the town is correctly called Stoke-upon-Trent, as distinct from the city, which is Stoke-on-Trent. In practice, local people know the town of Stoke-upon-Trent by the simpler and shorter name of Stoke."

So, similar but different.

scuda

Thanks for posting.

Would have agreed with you,Kite until I read Scuda's post. Well, you live & learn.

I thought the same as Kite and vita too, until I read either scuda's page above, or something similar. I had figured it was just a name change.

I am going to have to go through all my Stoke places to make sure I have my upons and ons correct.

Kit
25-08-22, 03:33
scuda - that's interesting - I'd not realised that before.

All these places that include the name of the river they lie by, but are commonly shortened to just the first word, such as Stoke, Newcastle, Stratford etc - I want to know why Kingston upon Hull is called Hull and not Kingston?

There is always an exception to the rule. :rolleyes::rolleyes: