PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Burton

ElizabethHerts
31-07-22, 09:03
According to the 1939 Register, Arthur was born 24th December 1877.

On the 1921 Census he is with wife Annie Pauline (Basham) and daughter Daphne and one other. This states he was born at Bunwell, Norfolk, which Genuki says is in the Depwade registration district.

He married Annie in 1918. I don't know whether he was married before.

His life before this is a mystery. Any help appreciated.

kiterunner
31-07-22, 09:48
Some public trees on Ancestry have him as the Arthur Emmanuel Burton who died Oct-Dec 1975 Havering district, date of birth on the death index 24 Dec 1878 so it almost fits with the 1939 Register. I know this is after, not before, but it gives us a middle name.

kiterunner
31-07-22, 09:52
Could be completely unconnected, but there is an Arthur Emmanuel Betts birth registration Jan-Mar 1879 Depwade, MMN Blake.

ElizabethHerts
31-07-22, 09:55
Could be completely unconnected, but there is an Arthur Emmanuel Betts birth registration Jan-Mar 1879 Depwade, MMN Blake.

I did wonder that Burton wasn't his birth name, Kate.
Thanks, I'll investigate.

ElizabethHerts
31-07-22, 12:31
It's a shame the 1918 marriage to Annie isn't online.

Phoenix
01-08-22, 08:14
There is an interesting newspaper story where one Arthur Betts, in 1905 of Unthank Road, Norwich, lodged with a Joseph Hardiment and then ran off with his wife Rosanna.

I don't seem to be able to find either of them in 1911. Joseph went back to live with his parents.

ElizabethHerts
01-08-22, 09:00
There is an interesting newspaper story where one Arthur Betts, in 1905 of Unthank Road, Norwich, lodged with a Joseph Hardiment and then ran off with his wife Rosanna.

I don't seem to be able to find either of them in 1911. Joseph went back to live with his parents.

Ooh, thanks, Phoenix.

Caroline Blake had children with William Betts while his first wife was alive. In 1861 she was a dairy maid on his farm. They married in Q4 1877.

ElizabethHerts
01-08-22, 09:06

That's him - he was a miller.

ElizabethHerts
01-08-22, 11:17
Interesting news on the name Burton!

William Betts' probate 1884:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/31874_222684-00472?pId=16175

... was proved by .... and Alfred Burton Betts of Tibenham in the same County the Nephew ....

Burton was a family name.

Do you think we have proved that Arthur Emmanuel Burton and Alfred Emmanuel Betts are one and the same person?

ElizabethHerts
01-08-22, 12:38
BETTS, ALFRED BURTON mmn BURTON
GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in DEPWADE Volume 04B Page 228

John Betts m Catharine Ann Burton
Depwade Q4 1853

John Betts son of William and Sophia Betts
baptised 11th December 1826 at Moulton St Michael

his brother was the William Betts above
baptised 17th January 1819

kiterunner
01-08-22, 13:09
Interesting news on the name Burton!

William Betts' probate 1884:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/31874_222684-00472?pId=16175

... was proved by .... and Alfred Burton Betts of Tibenham in the same County the Nephew ....

Burton was a family name.

Do you think we have proved that Arthur Emmanuel Burton and Alfred Emmanuel Betts are one and the same person?

I think so.

ElizabethHerts
01-08-22, 13:19
Thanks, Kate, especially for finding Arthur Emmanuel Betts' birth registration.

Matti
10-04-24, 20:51
Yes, he is the same man. Born in Bunwell. Parents William and Caroline Ann Betts, formerly Blake by marriage to first husband but widdowed, daughter of Matthew Barker of Bunwell! I don't think she was a dairy maid though, her elder children were born Blake and changed to Betts. Yes, the Burton connection was from an Uncle who was very kind to Arthur - one of Arthur's sons told me this when I did a school project as a child, and I have since done more research and live not too far from the locality. I think Arthur was married before marrying Annie and was widdowed, but that is a distant memory of being told it. He may have been in Canada for a few years and was definitely in the Cavalry at one point, again distant memorues of conversations with one of his sons. He met Annie in Romford, and I believe she worked domestically for the house he lived in, having gleaned that information from a census record. That also ties in with him marrying the cook, which is another thing said about Arthur and Annie. I remember both Arthur and Annie, and all of their children. Very interested in who is researching them. I have copies of lots of birth certificates and census information. If you would like to reveal who you are, I can share my documents, if it seems appropriate.

ElizabethHerts
10-04-24, 21:37
Welcome, Matti.

I was researching this family as I believe I have a DNA match with one of the descendants. I won't put details here for privacy concerns. We can communicate by private message if you'd like to learn more.

I messaged the person concerned in 2019 but I didn't receive a reply. My shared matches suggests a link on my maternal side to a couple of my lines but I haven't got back to common ancestors yet.

ElizabethHerts
10-04-24, 21:41
Interestingly, one of the members of one family who might be involved emigrated to Canada. The surname was Hatch.