PDA

View Full Version : Marriage "by certificate"

Michael
30-01-10, 17:21
In the the bit on a marriage certificate where it usually says either "by licence" or "after banns", I've just found one where it says "by certificate" - anyone know what this is, please?

Muggins in Sussex
30-01-10, 17:29
Hello Michael -

I have this one - "by Superintendent Registrar's certificate"
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/BWWMCcroppped.jpg

and am told that this was done because the vicar did not want banns to be called- he was worried that the the bride's parents might turn up at the wedding and make a fuss - and the vicar himself apparently had warned the bride that her choice of husband was not wise - and advised her not to proceed with the wedding

Don't know if that helps!

kiterunner
30-01-10, 17:59
I think it could also be if the church didn't have a service every week, so they couldn't call the banns enough times.

Michael
30-01-10, 18:21
Thanks - since the village was a fairly small one, the second explanation sounds likeliest, even if the first would be more interesting! One of the witnesses was the bride's brother and on the next census after the marriage they're living next door to her family, so they probably didn't disapprove of the marriage too strongly!

Uncle John
30-01-10, 21:00
All it means is that the civil equivalent of banns is displayed at the Register Office for 3 weeks and the Superintendent Registrar then issues a certificate. Quite normal for non-conformist or civil weddings or when one party doesn't attend a CofE church (CofS in Scotland).

Nell
30-01-10, 21:48
"(1) "by certificate" which would be found on a marriage entry in a register office marriage register or in a non-conformist marriage register. It shows that the couple waited 3 weeks between giving notice and getting married.

(2) "by licence" which would be found in the same set of registers and would indicate that the couple may have married with less than three weeks between giving the notice and getting married (minimum of 1 clear working day). However - a licence lasts three months so the marriage wasn't necessarily done in a rush. It may have been easier to give only the one licence notice rather than the two that would have been needed for a marriage by certificate if the bride and groom lived in different districts.

(3) "after banns" which can only be found in a Church of England marriage. It is the equivalent of the certificate for the register office/non-conformist churches.

(4) "by common licence" which can only be found in a Church of England marriage. The licence has been issued by the Bishop for the diocese and I believe is the equivalent of the licence in a register office or non-conformist church.

(5) "by special licence" which can only be found in a Church of England marriage. The licence has been issued by the Archbishop not the Bishop. I believe that this would allow the couple to get married in a church which is not the usual parish church for either of them but I am not sure of this.

(6) "by Registrar Generals" which could be found on any marriage certificate except for one where the marriage was by the rites of the Church of England. It is issued when one of the couple is dying and it allows a marriage ceremony to take place at any location at any time of the day or night.

(7) "By superintendent registrars certificate" is a very rare finding. It is issued for a Church of England marriage but instead of banns being called in the church, notice of marriage has been given to the superintendent registrar. In the early days this would be necessary where services were held so infrequently e.g. in a small chapel,that it was not possible to call the banns on three succesive Sundays and get married all within the three months time limit. Later on it was sometimes used as an expedient if for some reason the vicar did not want to make the forthcoming marriage in the church public knowledge and have the entry in his banns book which anyone can look at. The sort of problem might be where a bride and groom were of different persuasions and the vicar either didn't want the congregtion in general to know or even the bride/grooms family if he thought they might try to disrupt the ceremony. It is sometimes used these days when one of the couple is divorced and the vicar does not want it generally known that he is marrying a divorcee in his church."

from Barbara's Certificate Tutorials (can't use the web addy as it won't appear!)

Kit
31-01-10, 06:00
Hello Michael -

I have this one - "by Superintendent Registrar's certificate"

and am told that this was done because the vicar did not want banns to be called- he was worried that the the bride's parents might turn up at the wedding and make a fuss - and the vicar himself apparently had warned the bride that her choice of husband was not wise - and advised her not to proceed with the wedding

Don't know if that helps!

You have such an interesting family Joan.

Michael
01-02-10, 16:02
Hmm, that's interesting - because this particular "marriage by certificate" was very definitely in the parish church!

Nell
02-02-10, 15:43
Michael, although it was the parish church does it say that the marriage was conducted "by the rights and ceremonies of the Established Church", because sometimes non-conformists could use the C of E building to be married in, but be married with the rites and ceremonies of their own denomination?