PDA

View Full Version : Cassandra Elizabeth LEE/RANSOM/SMITH (mfmm)

Katarzyna
29-01-10, 22:09
Cassandra Elizabeth LEE/RANSOM/SMITH

This one gave me my biggest headache and several brickwalls especially when I saw the marriage cert! I wasn't sure who she was in reality.

Date and place of birth : c1833, Rushmere, Ipswich, Suffolk

Names of parents :John LEE and Cassandra SMITH

Date and place of baptism :19th April 1833 Rushmere St Andrew (as LEE) although her parents did not marry until 1854. Her mother married William Ransom a year after Cassandra Elizabeth was born. Why? - we will never know!

Details of marriage: 17th October 1852 (as Cassandra SMITH) to Henry PALMER.
Father’s name on marriage cert given as William RANSOM !

Addresses where they lived:
1841: (in step fathers name – RANSOM) St Clements, Ipswich.
1851: (as COPANDER SMITH – mothers maiden name) St Nicholas, Harwich, Essex.
1861: Cottage, South Town, Gorleston, Suffolk

Date, place and cause of death: Cassandra died 25th April 1869 age 36 of diseased liver and peritonitis after bilious vomiting for 3 days. She died at Hordle street, Dovercourt; Cassandra LEE (mother now married to her father !!) being present at her death.

Date and place of burial / cremation: not known
Details of will / administration of their estate and Memorial inscription - if any: not known

marquette
30-01-10, 01:04
In 1841 and again 1851, in Fore Hamlet, St Clement, Ipswich - John Lee (coal porter) born Ipswich, has a wife MARY born Harwich Essex.
Same occupation as John Lee with Cassandra in 1861.

In 1851 there is a Cassander Ransom, widow b abt 1814 Rushmere, in Church St, St Clement Ipswich, lodgers (3) includes Henry Palmer age 20 a porter !

Katarzyna
02-02-10, 19:41
Thanks Marquette I have those thanks. They are her parents. John Lee married Mary after Cassandra married William Ransom. I don't know why they didn't marry each other originally when daughter was on the way. John Lee is named as father on Christening records. Maybe a love affair gone wrong ? She married him twenty years later so I guess they were made for each other.

Daughter Cassandra married her mother's lodger Henry Palmer. He was listed with his parents too on that census.

When Cassandra died, Henry married her cousin Susannah Graystone nee Smith within a few months. Probably to give both their sets of children a mother and father. That took a lot of working out too!! (finding the relationship between Cassandra and Susannah that is)

marquette
02-02-10, 22:51
Wow, how complicated. Wouldn't you love to know why ? Star-crossed lovers who eventually find each other again !!

Di